Is impulse negligible in this problem?

• Thread starter Rikudo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, the conversation discusses the impulse to two blocks that collide with a wall, with one block colliding above the other. The impulse to the upper block is found to be -2mu, while the impulse to the lower block is found to be m(v-u). The question of whether or not to ignore friction in the lower block's velocity is raised, but it is determined that friction cannot be ignored. The conversation also delves into the concept of impulsive friction and the assumptions that can be made in this scenario. The conversation concludes with the idea that the problem is not trivial and involves finding the velocities of both blocks after the collision.
Rikudo
Homework Statement
A bar is placed with a slight offset Lo on another identical bar that rests on a horizontal frictionless floor. Coefficient of friction between the bars is μ. Initially, both the bars are moving towards a wall with a velocity u. The wall is parallel to the front face of the bars. (See figure)

If collision of the bars with the wall is perfectly elastic , find final velocities of both the bars long time after collisions with the wall .
Relevant Equations
Impulse - momentum
Screenshot_2022-08-28-16-54-07-37.png

When the upper block collides with the wall, the impulse to it will be:
$$ \int (-N+ f)dt = -2mu$$
Where N is the contact force from the wall.

Since N is really huge, the impulse from friction in the first equation above can be ignored, hence the equation become:
$$ \int -Ndt = -2mu$$

Meanwhile, the impulse to the lower one is going to be:
$$ \int -f dt = m(v-u)$$
Where ##v## is the velocity of the lower mass after the collision.

I don't think we can ignore the friction in this one. But if this is true, then I will not be able to find ##v##.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rikudo said:
Homework Statement:: A bar is placed with a slight offset Lo on another identical bar that rests on a horizontal frictionless floor. Coefficient of friction between the bars is μ. Initially, both the bars are moving towards a wall with a velocity u. The wall is parallel to the front face of the bars. (See figure)

If collision of the bars with the wall is perfectly elastic , find final velocities of both the bars long time after collisions with the wall .
Relevant Equations:: Impulse - momentum

View attachment 313376
When the upper block collides with the wall, the impulse to it will be:
$$ \int (-N+ f)dt = -2mu$$
Where N is the contact force from the wall.

Since N is really huge, the impulse from friction in the first equation above can be ignored, hence the equation become:
$$ \int -Ndt = -2mu$$

Meanwhile, the impulse to the lower one is going to be:
$$ \int -f dt = m(v-u)$$
Where ##v## is the velocity of the lower mass after the collision.

I don't think we can ignore the friction in this one. But if this is true, then I will not be able to find ##v##.

What do you think?
As I showed in the earlier thread, you have to consider what is known, the force or the impulse. If the force is known and bounded then, in the limit as the duration tends to zero, the impulse it delivers tends to zero. But if the impulse is known then, in that limit, the force is unbounded.

Likes PeroK
But, In my thread about a rocket ejecting mass, which you can find it here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-rocket-ejecting-mass.1044968/

we do not ignore the small change in speed (##dv##), even though the force imparted to the rocket (by ejecting the mass) is small.

This is why I thought I should not ignore the change in the lower mass's velocity either; no matter how small it is.

Also, looking at the forces during collision is a red herring. The only relevant force analysis is after the collision (or collisions …).

Likes Steve4Physics and Halc
The only relevant question seems to be: Is the velocity u small enough and the coefficient of friction between bars enough to prevent the lower bar from also colliding with the wall. If so, the problem is trivial. If the collision still occurs, then one has to actually do algebra, but the only thing that matters is the velocity at which that lower bar hits the wall.

Is ##\mu## the coefficient of static friction or the coefficient of kinetic friction. If the former, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction? If the latter, what is the coefficient of static friction? What would happen if the coefficient of static friction were extremely high?

Rikudo said:
But, In my thread about a rocket ejecting mass, which you can find it here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-rocket-ejecting-mass.1044968/

we do not ignore the small change in speed (##dv##), even though the force imparted to the rocket (by ejecting the mass) is small.

This is why I thought I should not ignore the change in the lower mass's velocity either; no matter how small it is.
You have to look at what happens in the limit. In the rocket thread, in the limit, dm and dv are both zero, but what matters is the ratio of dm to dv, and that does not go to zero.
In this thread, you have ##\int f.dt=m(v-u)## and f is bounded, so in the limit ##dt\rightarrow 0##, ##v=u##.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
I think one should assume there is no stiction (##\mu_s=\mu_k##).
Halc said:
If so, the problem is trivial.
No. Any relative motion of the blocks (##\mu finite##) will dissipate energy internally

One can use energy conservation, knowing that the collisions are elastic and finding the energy dissipated to internal degrees of freedom (i.e. the total work done by frictional forces). By how much do the blocks relatively displace? Indeed the bottom block may or may not bounce off the wall but any relative sliding makes ##heat=2\mu N (sliding~displacement)## regardless

Orodruin said:
Also, looking at the forces during collision is a red herring. The only relevant force analysis is after the collision (or collisions …).
In the present case, yes, but there can be "impulsive friction". I wouldn't want to give @Rikudo the impression that one can always ignore forces that are not at the obvious point of impact.

Very good. Can those be characterized in a useful way?

hutchphd said:
No. Any relative motion of the blocks (μfinite) will dissipate energy internally
Still trivial under the given conditions.

Neither case is very difficult but neither is trivial for me. We can compare notes after OP solves.

hutchphd said:
I think one should assume there is no stiction (μs=μk).
No, static friction does negligible work in practice, and none at all in the usual idealisation (namely, that kinetic friction takes over after an infinitesimal movement). It only creates a threshold which the applied force must reach.
hutchphd said:
Neither case is very difficult but neither is trivial for me. We can compare notes after OP solves.
The trick is to think about the two velocities immediately after the top bar has bounced. If the lower bar does not reach the wall then it is indeed trivial. However, being told that ##l_0## is very small implies we should assume it does reach the wall, so there is only the slightly more interesting case to consider.

Likes jbriggs444
I believe we each understand the physics. The thing that took a moment for me was to realize that the lower block will have slowed before its reflection from the wall. This actually makes the probem easier. Enough said.
Oh except to say "parts of the impulse are likely not well understood we will assume them small by fiat"

$$\int -mg \mu d(l) = \frac 1 2 m(v²-u²)$$
Where v is the speed of the lower block just before the 2nd collision.
$$v = \sqrt {u² - 2g\mu l_0}$$

So, there are two answers:
1. ## v = 0##
if ##u² ≤2g\mu l_0##

2. ## v = \sqrt {u² - 2g\mu l_0}##
if ##u² ≥2g\mu l_0##

Do I also need to think of the possibilities if ##l_0## is big/small?

Rikudo said:
$$\int -mg \mu d(l) = \frac 1 2 m(v²-u²)$$
Where v is the speed of the lower block just before the 2nd collision.
$$v = \sqrt {u² - 2g\mu l_0}$$

So, there are two answers:
1. ## v = 0##
if ##u² ≤2g\mu l_0##

2. ## v = \sqrt {u² - 2g\mu l_0}##
if ##u² ≥2g\mu l_0##

Do I also need to think of the possibilities if ##l_0## is big/small?
I'm not disagreeing with your answer, but in your posted analysis of case 2 you have not discussed the continuing interaction between the blocks.

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object. It is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the time over which the force is applied.

2. Why is impulse important in problem-solving?

Impulse is important because it helps us understand how forces affect the motion of objects. It allows us to calculate the change in an object's momentum and predict its future motion.

3. How is impulse related to Newton's laws of motion?

Impulse is related to Newton's laws of motion because it is derived from the second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. Impulse is also used to explain the third law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. When is impulse considered negligible in a problem?

Impulse is considered negligible in a problem when the change in momentum of an object is very small or when the time over which the force is applied is very short. In these cases, the effect of impulse on the motion of the object can be ignored.

5. How can we determine if impulse is negligible in a problem?

We can determine if impulse is negligible in a problem by comparing the magnitude of the impulse to the initial momentum of the object. If the impulse is significantly smaller, then it can be considered negligible in the problem.