1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it better to learn from another student or from a textbook?

1. Mar 30, 2007 #1
    If you had the option of learning some material from a textbook or from another undergad student who has done the subject the previous year, which would you choose?

Or is it better do learn from the textbook and ask questions when it comes up?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2007 #2
    can't you manage doing both?
    i mean i dont see how do you have here an option of exclusive 'or'.

4. Mar 30, 2007 #3
    Both is probably best. But I might get some false information from the student? ALthough interactive learning is best. If I can only choose one then which one?

5. Mar 30, 2007 #4
    well if he is an A's student then probably he knows something about the material, wether he knows all of it i dont know.
    luckily, or unfortuanetly (depends on how do you see it) i still havent yet taken help from real person, unless youre including internet forums.
    but if you already get help like from the internet, then shouldnt you be less worried if the help is from a real person.
    i mean in the internet no one assures you that the help is coming from a genuine place, but you asill ask for advice.
    this question sounds silly. (-:

6. Mar 30, 2007 #5
    This is true, which is why it's important to think critically. Your learning should ideally come from your professor and TA, your textbook, and your fellow students. Rather than talking to students who've already taken the class, it's far better to learn the material alongside current students. When I was an undergrad, I got good grades largely because of my study groups.

7. Mar 30, 2007 #6
    If I was just asking someone a question than it's okay if it is a student or on an internet forum because I would have thought about the contents in the question. But I was thinking of learning something completely new either from another student or from a textbook. I don't think people here would teach me something from scratch and plus it would be too inefficient to do so, unless we are messenging each other but it would still be more difficult than learning from a text in this situation.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  8. Mar 30, 2007 #7
    studnet - if its free........

go for the cheaper option.......

9. Mar 30, 2007 #8

radou

Homework Helper

Textbook.

Because you'll develop your way of understanding some things.

10. Mar 30, 2007 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Agreed.

Although it might be slower, it's probably the best way.

11. Mar 30, 2007 #10

radou

Homework Helper

I know some people who achieve great results in some subjects, but I'll never ask them anything related to that very subject, because I know their way of thinking confuses me. It's not "advanced", it's just different.

Save time and energy.

12. Mar 30, 2007 #11
    Textbook because I can reread a page over and over for 30 minutes if I have to but I doubt I could convince any of my friends to repeat themselves for 30 minutes.

13. Mar 30, 2007 #12
    whoever explains simpler.....

14. Mar 30, 2007 #13

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Both, you need to see how it is developed in a text then to ensure that you understand talk to another student. I learn more from my co-workers than from anything written by my employer.

15. Mar 30, 2007 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We're talking about a high school student here.

16. Mar 30, 2007 #15
    University undergrad students actually.

17. Mar 31, 2007 #16
    Textbooks. You need to learn from the masters.

18. Mar 31, 2007 #17
    There is no reason that you cannot combine them all. There is a reason why we have an education system and not just textbooks.

19. Mar 31, 2007 #18

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doesn't matter, you learn from both sources almost equally. Whether in High School, University, Graduate School or workforce, you learn from multiple sources constantly.

20. Mar 31, 2007 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I found that I learned so much more when going through myself. I learned many valuable skills.

21. Mar 31, 2007 #20
    Maybe it's best to learn the material from scratch from a textbook than ask the student and people here about any questions I might have.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?