Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it considered lame to use a CAS when helping people in the DE forum?

1. Mar 13, 2010 #1
    Hi there,

Many of the problems on this part of the forum simply boil down to "I don't know how to solve the ODE: <some strange ODE here>"

I kind of forgot how to solve many of these problems myself, so I've just been giving people the answer from matlab's dsolve function.

Is this considered rude? I would imagine most people are capable of this, so it might seem cheap.

I realize it doesn't help the person much if its for a class, since they need to show their work, but it at least let's them see the form of the right answer.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem with that is, of course, that the "answer" isn't really what is wanted. Most of the time the point is to learn how to solve a specific kind of problem. Just seeing the answer, whether provided by a person or a machine doesn't really help.

4. Mar 14, 2010 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also, homework problems really should not be posted in this forum.

5. Mar 23, 2010 #4
    Post whatever problem you have here. I meant maths problem. If people feel like answering your problem then you are lucky. I personally learn quite alot here from trying to answer other people problem. And further more I want to show off the number of post I have already submitted. :biggrin: This is my post No. 271.

Thanks Redbelly98 for your copy and paste maths symbols blog. Quite useful when we post in a forum without latex facility

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook