Is it electric charge or only the friction?

In summary, the sparks are generated when you rub two stones together. Flint on steel is easier because it didn't exist back then.
jayeshtrivedi
Hi all,

When we rub two stones and get a spark , is there any chance of static charge accumulation or it is just the mechanical energy of friction is transferred in form of heat energy.

Thanks in advance.

Jayesh.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Thanks and sorry for late reply.

But what I am asking is that in primitive stage of civilization human being are generating fire by rubbing the stones only.

I am asking for this phenomenon.

Native Americans used a bow to twirl a wooden rod against another piece of wood with a matching hole; friction would heat the wood. When they judged it was hot enough they would drop in small pieces of dry material which would easily catch fire; this was then transferred ...

see http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/bowdrill/pmoc/basicbowdrill.html

This is a friction technique.

I am not familiar with the use of stones for starting fires - except for flint and iron.

If you can provide a good reference, I can determine how the fire was started.

I am not familiar with the use of stones for starting fires - except for flint and iron.

That's ok for back to the iron age. But going back further than that required other methods

It seems the Nth American Indian method of a "wood drill has been around for a much longer time.

There's a severe lack of online info on the subject. First uses of fire seem to have been thought to have come from lightning started fires and volcanic sources.
I read that there are hints of flint on flint as a started as well as a result of the seeing the sparks created by the "carving" of flint tools

a bit of a digression from the original post but it would be great for a topic in another part of the forum if we had any anthropologists at PF ?? :smile:

cheers
Dave

1. Is electric charge the same as friction?

No, electric charge and friction are two different concepts. Electric charge refers to the fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience electromagnetic interactions. Friction, on the other hand, is a force that opposes the relative motion of two surfaces in contact.

2. How does electric charge relate to friction?

Electric charge can play a role in friction when two objects with opposite charges come into contact. This can create an attractive force between the objects, making them more difficult to move and increasing the friction between them.

3. Can friction cause electric charge?

Yes, friction can cause electric charge. When two materials rub against each other, electrons from one material can transfer to the other, resulting in a buildup of electric charge on the surfaces.

4. Is electric charge or friction more important in everyday life?

Both electric charge and friction play important roles in our everyday lives. Electric charge powers our electronic devices and is crucial for many chemical reactions. Friction allows us to walk, grip objects, and control the motion of vehicles.

5. How do we measure electric charge and friction?

Electric charge is typically measured in units of coulombs using instruments like an electroscope or a electrometer. Friction can be measured by using a device called a tribometer, which measures the force required to move one surface relative to another.