Is it me being retarded or did ETS screw up again?

• Thread starter asd1249jf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Screw
In summary, the conversation is about a question from a GRE testbook regarding the cost of hamburgers and French fries at Blinky Burgers restaurant. The conversation includes a solution attempt using simultaneous equations and a discrepancy between the answer in the booklet and the answer obtained. The speaker also mentions possible factors affecting their ability to solve the problem accurately.
asd1249jf

Homework Statement

K this is a question from GRE Testbook.

At Blinky Burgers restaurant, two hamburgers and five orders of French fries cost the same as four hamburgers and two orders of French fries. If the restaurant charges $1.50 for a single order of French fries, how much does it charge for two hamburgers?

Homework Equations

Some Simultaneous Equation..

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose
X = Hamburgers
Y = French Fries

then

2X + 5Y = 4X + 2Y

Substituting Y = 1.50

2X + 7.5 = 4X + 3

3.5 = 2X

We are asked for the price of two hamburgers therefore, $3.50 is the answer

BUT THE BOOKLET SAYS $4.50 IS THE ANSWER WTF?

Can you please tell me if my brain isn't working properly today, before I make a freakin' call to ETS today? Sorry about my tone, but I'm just pissed that these guys make the dumbest mistake as this, provided they really did.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because 7.5-3 is not equal to 3.5.

Dick said:
Because 7.5-3 is not equal to 3.5.

It must be the Kegs and those shots of Jack Daniels I had yesterday.. Thanks

Could also be time to take a stress break. You sound a little overwrought.

1. Is it just me or did ETS make a mistake again?

It is possible that ETS made a mistake, but it is also important to consider the possibility that there may be other factors at play. It is best to carefully review the situation and gather all the necessary information before jumping to conclusions.

2. How common are mistakes made by ETS?

While ETS strives to maintain accuracy in their processes, mistakes can still occur. However, the overall frequency of these mistakes is difficult to determine as it may vary depending on the specific circumstances.

3. What should I do if I suspect that ETS has made a mistake?

If you believe that ETS has made a mistake, it is important to gather any evidence or information that supports your claim. You can then contact ETS directly to address the issue and provide them with the necessary details.

4. How does ETS handle mistakes and errors?

When a mistake is brought to their attention, ETS will review the situation and take appropriate action to rectify the error. This may involve correcting scores or offering additional support to affected individuals.

5. Can I trust ETS's processes and results?

ETS is a reputable organization that has been providing reliable testing services for many years. While mistakes may occur, it is generally safe to trust their processes and results. However, it is always important to review and verify your own scores and results.

Back