1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it ok for the freshman year?

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    Ok, thank everyone. Here are my result in freshman year:
    Semester 1:
    Practice in General Physics: 9/10
    French A1: 9.3/10
    Mechanics 1: 6.7/10 :(
    Linear Algebra: 6.6/10:(
    Calculus1: 6.8/10:(
    Semester 2:
    French A2: 9.5/10
    CS1: 9.6/10
    Thermodynamics and molecular physics: 7.9/10
    Calculus 2: 6.8/10 :(

So it is the end of math general in my university. Next year i have to learn advance math and numerical...

Is it ok for the freshman year?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2

Disconnected

Gold Member

Those results are fine. I know people who did a lot, LOT worse in their first year and ended up with a perfectly fine degree. Don't worry about it.

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I WOULD worry about it. Ds? The worry is that you haven't learned your lesson. A LOT of people get a huge shock upon entering university and have grades similar to yours. You do need to make a concerted effort to up your commitment to your studies.

It doesn't mean anything is screwed up for the future. Just like with college admissions, freshman years really don't count much. It's the people who don't change that get into trouble.

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4

Disconnected

Gold Member

66% is a D over there? Wild! It's 4% off an A here.

6. Aug 3, 2011 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Here in the USA 66% is usually a D (one step above failing). What 6.6/10 means for the original poster is anybody's guess, because we have no idea where in the world he (she?) is or which educational system he is in.

7. Aug 3, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Are you really ready for advanced math courses with D's in calculus and linear algebra?? If you want to go to grad school, then you must pull yourself together and get a lot better grades next time!!

8. Aug 3, 2011 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Aha, looking at his other posts I see he's in Vietnam. Does anybody else here know anything about Vietnamese universities? :uhh:

9. Aug 3, 2011 #8
    Thank everyone:
    66% is C+ in Vietnam. <6 is D
    Practice in General Physics: 9/10 A+
    French A1: 9.3/10 A+
    Mechanics 1: 6.7/10 :( C+
    Linear Algebra: 6.6/10:( C+
    Calculus1: 6.8/10:( C+
    Semester 2:
    French A2: 9.5/10 A+
    CS1: 9.6/10 A+
    Thermodynamics and molecular physics: 7.9/10 B
    Calculus 2: 6.8/10 :( C+
    But in Vietnam the D or A is not important. People only care about the mark in %.

But the problem for me is:
    After the exam, i forgot anything. Now i only remember French because it is a language.
    I 'am learned in the program that coporate with the France.
    Called: Physique Corpusculaire et Applications
    From the 3 rd year, we learn all subject in French
    P/S My university is the best university in Vietnam. You can search Vietnam national university, Hanoi in QS

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook