Is it possible to build atoms?

In summary: However, the isotopes of gold produced were all radioactive. In 1924, a Japanese physicist, Hantaro Nagaoka, accomplished the same feat. However, the isotopes of gold produced were all radioactive.In summary, it is possible to "build" atoms, but the costs are too high to be practical.
ProPatto16
Is it possible to "build" atoms?

Was just thinking to myself, the world running out of resources etc... the most basic form of matter is the 3 subatomic particles... and all matter is made up of them. i did some googling but couldn't find much so I am wondering if one day it would be possible to effectively build atoms? so if we run out of say iron... take some other garbage we don't want, split it apart and put together 13 protons, 13 neutrons and 26 electrons and basically manufacture it?

Physics news on Phys.org
ProPatto16 said:
Was just thinking to myself, the world running out of resources etc... the most basic form of matter is the 3 subatomic particles... and all matter is made up of them. i did some googling but couldn't find much so I am wondering if one day it would be possible to effectively build atoms? so if we run out of say iron... take some other garbage we don't want, split it apart and put together 13 protons, 13 neutrons and 26 electrons and basically manufacture it?

I think you need to look at the Standard Model of elementary particles. The world is not made up of just protons, neutrons, and electrons. For example, what is a muon made up of? What about the various mesons in the particle data book?

Zz.

Nuclear Chemistry is an important field of study. Yes, new atoms can be created by bombarding existing atoms to create new, larger and more massive atoms. They are normally unstable and decay quickly, but our periodic table is still growing!

“In chemistry, a synthetic element is a chemical element that does not occur naturally on Earth, and can only be created artificially. So far, 20 synthetic elements have been created (those with atomic numbers 99–118).”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_element“Scientists closer to a more stable superheavy element
Six new isotopes of man-made element 114 are found at Berkeley.”
October 29, 2010|By Thomas H. Maugh II, Los Angeles Times
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/29/science/la-sci-superheavy-isotopes-20101030

In fact, more recently even heavier ones have been created, but I haven't spent the time to locate articles.

It is possible, but the costs are several orders of magnitude too high to make this interesting for natural nuclei. For some short-living radioisotopes which cannot be found in nature, this is done already. Technetium-99 is a prominent example.

mfb said:
It is possible, but the costs are several orders of magnitude too high to make this interesting for natural nuclei. For some short-living radioisotopes which cannot be found in nature, this is done already. Technetium-99 is a prominent example.

a prime example is turning lead into gold through nuclear reactions, its too expensive to be practical and the gold would be unstable (radioactive) this was done by Glen Seaborg

We have very limited control over nuclear reactions. We basically have to bombard particles together and maybe some of what we want comes out, among various other particles that will come out. Some nuclei are easier to create, because we can take advantage of known fusion or fission reaction pathways which will generate a certain product with higher probability. But other nuclei, especially heavier ones, are only generated a small fraction of the time.

1. Can atoms be built from scratch?

Yes, atoms can be built from scratch through a process called atom manipulation or atom assembly. This involves arranging individual atoms to form specific molecules or structures.

2. Is it possible to create new elements by building atoms?

Yes, it is possible to create new elements by building atoms. This has been done in laboratories through nuclear reactions, where atoms are bombarded with particles to create new, heavier elements.

3. How do scientists manipulate atoms to build new structures?

Scientists use advanced techniques such as scanning probe microscopes and atomic force microscopes to manipulate individual atoms. These instruments use tiny needles to move atoms into specific positions.

4. What are the potential applications of building atoms?

The ability to build atoms opens up a wide range of potential applications in fields such as nanotechnology, materials science, and medicine. It could lead to the development of new materials with unique properties, faster and more powerful computers, and targeted drug delivery systems.

5. Are there any limitations to building atoms?

One major limitation in building atoms is the difficulty and precision involved in manipulating individual atoms. It requires advanced technology and highly skilled scientists to successfully build and manipulate atoms. Additionally, the cost and time involved in the process can also be limiting factors.