Is it possible to deduce the number of protons from the mass

In summary, the number of protons in an atom cannot be determined solely from the mass of an atom. However, the number of protons is directly related to the mass of an atom because each proton has a mass of approximately 1 atomic mass unit. The mass of an atom can be used to determine the number of protons in an element, as each element has a unique atomic mass determined by the number of protons and neutrons. While there are a few exceptions to the relationship between mass and number of protons, knowing the number of protons is important in identifying and categorizing elements.
rwooduk
...number?

If you are give say Lead, 208Pb. What is the 208? and is it possible to deduce the number of protons Z from it with no other information?

Haven't done chemistry yearts so any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. Number of protons is defined by the Pb symbol. 208 is sum of number of protons and neutrons (number of nucleons), and doesn't tell anything about how many of each there is.

It is also not uncommon to have several isotopes of different elements all having the same total number of nucleons, these are called isobars.

Likes rwooduk
Borek said:
Nope. Number of protons is defined by the Pb symbol. 208 is sum of number of protons and neutrons (number of nucleons), and doesn't tell anything about how many of each there is.

It is also not uncommon to have several isotopes of different elements all having the same total number of nucleons, these are called isobars.

Many thanks for that, the lecturer seemed to assume we knew, no other info was given in class. So youre reply is reassuring thanks!

One more thing if you have a free minute, for Pb 206, he said that there are no energetically favourable decay modes, can this be deduced from the 206 value? or would more information be required? or it is common knowledge and something to memorise?

It is not a chemistry question - I will move the thread to nuclear physics. 206 is definitely not enough, but perhaps there are nucleus models that allow predicting decay modes from known Z and A.

Likes rwooduk
Borek said:
It is not a chemistry question - I will move the thread to nuclear physics. 206 is definitely not enough, but perhaps there are nucleus models that allow predicting decay modes from known Z and A.

Ok. Many thanks for your replies!

Borek said:
Am I misreading something here?

If you have a mass composed of Pb208, as the OP specified, then all the atoms contain 82 protons and 126 neutrons.

If they didn't, they would either not be the 208 isotope, or they would not be lead at all..

DaveC426913 said:

If you have a mass composed of Pb208, as the OP specified, then all the atoms contain 82 protons and 126 neutrons.

If they didn't, they would either not be the 208 isotope, or they would not be lead at all..

Did you deduce the bolded statement from the Pb208? Is there any chance that you could explain how?

Yes.

(My 'shut up and keep your head down' alarms are going off in my head, so it is against my better judgement that I'm challenging Borek, but) it seems to me that
- you specified the mass contains entirely Pb208
- lead contains 82 protons, so the rest (126) are neutrons.

Here it is, listed in the isotopes of lead chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_lead

208Pb 82 126 207.9766521

Likes rwooduk
DaveC426913 said:

Definitely there is some misunderstanding, could be my English failed.

As far as I understand the original question asked "is it possible to deduce number of protons from a single 208 number" - and then the answer is "no". At the same time when you are given entire "208Pb" information number of protons is given by the identity of the element, given by its symbol (and I believe that's what I wrote).

Borek said:
Definitely there is some misunderstanding, could be my English failed.

As far as I understand the original question asked "is it possible to deduce number of protons from a single 208 number" - and then the answer is "no". At the same time when you are given entire "208Pb" information number of protons is given by the identity of the element, given by its symbol (and I believe that's what I wrote).
That's what I thought you were saying, yes. Given only 208, you do not know which element it is, and thus the ratio of protons/neutrons.

But the OP did specify Pb208. Which is enough to deduce the ratio.

rwooduk said:
One more thing if you have a free minute, for Pb 206, he said that there are no energetically favourable decay modes, can this be deduced from the 206 value? or would more information be required? or it is common knowledge and something to memorise?
You have to look up the masses of possible decay products to see if the decays are possible. It is possible to estimate them theoretically but to do that precisely is way beyond the scope of homework problems. Alternatively, look up directly if the nucleus is stable.

1. Can the number of protons be determined solely from the mass of an atom?

No, the number of protons in an atom cannot be determined solely from the mass. Other factors, such as the number of neutrons and electrons, also contribute to the mass of an atom.

2. How is the number of protons related to the mass of an atom?

The number of protons in an atom is directly related to its mass. Each proton has a mass of approximately 1 atomic mass unit (amu), so the number of protons in an atom will contribute to the overall mass of the atom.

3. Can the mass of an atom be used to determine the number of protons in an element?

Yes, the mass of an atom can be used to determine the number of protons in an element. This is because each element has a unique atomic mass, which is determined by the number of protons and neutrons in the atom.

4. Are there any exceptions to the relationship between mass and number of protons?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the relationship between mass and number of protons. Isotopes, which are atoms of the same element with different numbers of neutrons, will have different masses but the same number of protons.

5. Why is it important to know the number of protons in an atom?

Knowing the number of protons in an atom is important because it determines the element that the atom belongs to. Each element has a unique number of protons, so this information helps in identifying and categorizing different elements.