Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to do MSc and BSc at the same time?

1. Mar 21, 2008 #1

Defennder

Homework Helper

I was looking through my college's staff listing and came across one of my professors. I read a short biography and it read like:
    What does this mean? That she graduated with an MSc the same time she completed her BSc?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2

Air

Well, I assume:

BSc: 3 Years (2001 - 2003)
    MSc: 1 Year (2004)
    PhD: 3 Years (2005-2007)

4. Mar 21, 2008 #3
    I read it as:

B.S. received 2001
    M.S. received 2001
    Ph.D. received 2007

Some universities offer dual B.S./M.S. programs in which the student receives a master's at the same time as a bachelor's by staying (usually) an extra year. In other words, it took the professor 5 years (assumed, since that's typical) to earn her B.S. and M.S., and 6 additional years to earn her Ph.D.

5. Mar 21, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Is there any difference between delaying graduation for one year just so you can receive both MS and BS together or just doing BS first then followed by MS immediately?

6. Mar 21, 2008 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The only difference I could think of would be tuition, if the tuition for graduate schools is much more than undergrad. In that case, one would stay an undergrad while taking graduate level courses, and then apply to the graduate program for the last year to satisfy the minimum requirements for registration.

7. Mar 21, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bet it's a typo.

8. Mar 21, 2008 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There are programs for this. The Naval Academy has one where you go full time to the Academy and part time to Maryland during your junior and senior years, getting your BS in May and MS in December.

9. Mar 21, 2008 #8

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It can also be that she was AWARDED the BS in 2001 but actually completed it in 2000. I don't know what it is like in the US but here it can occasionally take a couple of months (or more) to get all the paperwork sorted even after you have fulfilled all the requirements.

10. Mar 21, 2008 #9
    Did the professor do her undergrad/MSc in Germany? (or any number of other European countries with a similar system?) A "diplom" there is equivalent to an American B.Sc + M.Sc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplom

11. Mar 21, 2008 #10

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I don't know how it works in other universities/countries, but I am doing one of the undergraduate masters courses mentioned. I get awarded an M.Sc at the end of it but no B.Sc

12. Mar 22, 2008 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I thought undergrad masters degrees were MSci degrees, in order to differentiate them between the year long taught masters degrees (MSc)?

13. Mar 22, 2008 #12

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Actually mine's an Mphysgeog as it's a physical geography degree, but that's a bit of a mouth full so I normally just say MSc if anyone asks. I didn't know that differentiation existed.

14. Mar 22, 2008 #13

Defennder

Homework Helper

Hmm ok thanks guys. Just wondering.

15. Mar 22, 2008 #14
    Person in question is Ghim Wei Ho ( http://www.esp.nus.edu.sg/Research/Biography_Dr Ho.htm ) at NUS.

Not sure how it is in Singapore but in Australia it's possible to do a Bach. of Engineering and a Masters of Biomedical Engineering (coursework) in one five year stretch and graduate with both degrees at the conclusion.
    So perhaps they have some arrangement like that there (or one of the many plausable explanations postd above).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?