Is it possible to have a single photon ionize an atom of Francium?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ralphonsicus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Atom Photon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Ralphonsicus
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Is the ionization energy of Francium to high to be achieved with just one photon?

And another quick question, how hot must the light-emitter get before it begins to emit x-rays, and then how hot for gamma rays?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question, ionization depends on the energy of one photon, not the total energy (photoelectric effect) so the answer is yes if the photon energy is high enough.

I aam not sure what you have in mind for the second question - define light-emitter.
 
mathman said:
For the first question, ionization depends on the energy of one photon, not the total energy (photoelectric effect) so the answer is yes if the photon energy is high enough.

I aam not sure what you have in mind for the second question - define light-emitter.

So there is no limit to a photon's energy?

And when I say light emitter, I mean like the equivalent of tungsten in a light bulb. For something to emit x-rays/gamma rays, what temperature must they reach?
 
Ralphonsicus said:
So there is no limit to a photon's energy?

And when I say light emitter, I mean like the equivalent of tungsten in a light bulb. For something to emit x-rays/gamma rays, what temperature must they reach?
There is no theoretical limit on photon energy - the practical limit is defined by processes which can produce them.

To get x-rays and gamma rays you need different processes - simply heating things up won't work, since things would melt or vaporize before you got high enough temperature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_ray