Is it possible to have a single photon ionize an atom of Francium?

• Thread starter Ralphonsicus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom Photon
In summary, the ionization energy of Francium can be achieved with just one photon if the photon energy is high enough. However, there is no theoretical limit on photon energy, but practical limitations exist. To emit x-rays and gamma rays, different processes are needed and simply heating something up will not work. The temperature required for emission depends on the specific process and cannot be determined solely by heating an object.
Ralphonsicus
Is the ionization energy of Francium to high to be achieved with just one photon?

And another quick question, how hot must the light-emitter get before it begins to emit x-rays, and then how hot for gamma rays?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question, ionization depends on the energy of one photon, not the total energy (photoelectric effect) so the answer is yes if the photon energy is high enough.

I aam not sure what you have in mind for the second question - define light-emitter.

mathman said:
For the first question, ionization depends on the energy of one photon, not the total energy (photoelectric effect) so the answer is yes if the photon energy is high enough.

I aam not sure what you have in mind for the second question - define light-emitter.

So there is no limit to a photon's energy?

And when I say light emitter, I mean like the equivalent of tungsten in a light bulb. For something to emit x-rays/gamma rays, what temperature must they reach?

Ralphonsicus said:
So there is no limit to a photon's energy?

And when I say light emitter, I mean like the equivalent of tungsten in a light bulb. For something to emit x-rays/gamma rays, what temperature must they reach?
There is no theoretical limit on photon energy - the practical limit is defined by processes which can produce them.

To get x-rays and gamma rays you need different processes - simply heating things up won't work, since things would melt or vaporize before you got high enough temperature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_ray

1. Can a single photon ionize an atom of Francium?

Yes, it is possible for a single photon to ionize an atom of Francium. However, the energy of the photon must be equal to or greater than the ionization energy of Francium, which is approximately 3.9 electron volts (eV).

2. How does a single photon ionize an atom of Francium?

When a photon with enough energy collides with an atom of Francium, it can knock off one of the atom's electrons, resulting in an ionized atom. This process is known as photoionization.

3. What factors influence the likelihood of a single photon ionizing an atom of Francium?

The likelihood of a single photon ionizing an atom of Francium depends on the energy and intensity of the photon, as well as the ionization potential of Francium. Other factors, such as the atomic structure and environment, may also play a role.

4. Is it rare for a single photon to ionize an atom of Francium?

Yes, it is relatively rare for a single photon to ionize an atom of Francium. This is because Francium has a high ionization potential and is not commonly found in nature. Additionally, the energy of a single photon is usually not high enough to cause ionization.

5. What are the potential applications of single photon ionization of Francium?

The ability to ionize an atom of Francium with a single photon has potential applications in fields such as nuclear physics, atomic clocks, and quantum computing. It can also provide insights into the behavior of atoms at the quantum level.