1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it Possible to Parametrize A Skewed Cone?

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    I would like to parametrize a skewed cone from a given vertex with an elliptical base, however I cannot seem to find the general formula for it. The parametrization given in http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EllipticCone.html produces a cone but not with the right vertex, ie, it is only a cone with an elliptical base, and not a skew cone with an elliptical base. The cone I want to parametrize is the cone on the right hand side in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cone_3d.png , except with an ellipse base and not a circle. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sure. Do you know how to parameterize the ellipse in the xy plane with a single parameter, like ##\theta##? Then let (p,q,r) be the vertex. Parameterize the straight line from (p,q,r) to a point on the bottom ellipse as a function of t. The result will be a parameterization of the cone using those two parameters. Is that enough of a hint?

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    Yes, that works! Although, I had to include the z-component of the ellipse parametrization as 0 in order to make a straight line. Thanks for the help.

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, an ellipse in the xy plane would have z=0. You're welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted