Calculus Related Rates/Maximizing Cones Problem

• Thread starter SquirrelHunte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the problem asks for the fraction of the volume of a right circular cone occupied by an upside down cone placed inside it with its vertex at the center of the base and its base parallel to the base of the larger cone. To find this fraction, the volume of the smaller cone must be maximized. Using the similarity of the triangle formed by the apex of the outer cone and the base of the inner cone to the vertical cross-section of the outer cone, an equation can be derived to represent the volume of the smaller cone in terms of the height and radius of the larger cone. By finding the critical points of this volume function and analyzing its second derivative, it can be determined that one of the critical points is a local minimum and
SquirrelHunte

Homework Statement

Given a right circular cone you put an upside down cone inside it so that its vertex is at the center of the base of the larger cone, and its base is parallel to the base of the larger cone. If you choose the upside-down cone to have the largest possible volume, what fraction of the volume of the larger cone does it occupy?

Let H and R be the height and radius of the larger cone, let h and r be the height and radius of the small cone.

Homework Equations

Volume of a cone= V=(1/3)pi r^2 h

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously I want the end problem to look like this:

Maximum (largest) volume of the small/Volume of the larger cone

So first I wanted to use the right angles to get similar triangles relating h and r. So I got h/H=r/R.

thus h=Hr/R or (H/R)r

then I put that into the volume formula of the smaller cone: (1/3)pi r^2 ((H/R)r)..

you end up with (H/3R)(pi)(r^3)=V

First derivative: (3H/3R)(pi)(r^2)...then...(H/R)(pi)(r^2)=V'

To get my maximum I set my V' to zero so (H/R)(pi)(r^2)=0 but my problem is that the only way to get that equation to equal zero is if r=0, but it can't equal 0 so now I am stuck...

Help Please?

Physics news on Phys.org
SquirrelHunte said:
So first I wanted to use the right angles to get similar triangles relating h and r. So I got h/H=r/R.

thus h=Hr/R or (H/R)r

Be careful: I don't think I can agree that the vertical cross-sections of these cones are similar triangles. The vertex of the inner cone must touch the center of the base of the outer cone and could have any height from zero to the height of the outer cone. The opening angle of the inner cone is, then, not necessarily the same as that of the outer cone.

What you can safely say is that the triangle whose apex is the apex of the outer cone and whose base touches the base of the inner cone is similar to the vertical cross-section of the outer cone. So (H-h)/r = H/R . [It may turn out that the maximal inner cone is similar to the outer cone, but we don't know that yet...]

[EDIT: You'll get two critical points. If you do the Second Derivative Test or look at the graph of the volume function, you'll see that one is a local minimum because the volume function decreases gently to zero at that extremum...]

Last edited:

What is the purpose of using calculus to solve related rates/maximizing cones problems?

Calculus allows us to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable, which is important in solving real-world problems involving changing quantities. In the case of related rates/maximizing cones problems, we can use calculus to find the rates at which different variables (such as the height, radius, and volume of a cone) are changing as other variables are changing.

How do I set up a related rates/maximizing cones problem?

The first step is to identify the variables involved and how they are related to each other. Then, using the given information and any relevant formulas (such as the formula for the volume of a cone), we can set up an equation that relates the variables. Finally, we can use the chain rule in calculus to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another.

Can related rates/maximizing cones problems be solved without calculus?

Yes, it is possible to solve some related rates/maximizing cones problems without using calculus. However, calculus provides a more efficient and accurate method for solving these types of problems by taking into account the instantaneous rates of change of the variables.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates/maximizing cones problems?

One common mistake is to use the wrong formula or equation. It is important to carefully read the problem and identify which formula is relevant. Additionally, forgetting to use the chain rule or making algebraic errors can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

How can I check my solution to a related rates/maximizing cones problem?

One way to check your solution is to plug the values back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the given conditions. Another method is to graph the equation and visually confirm that the solution makes sense in the context of the problem. Additionally, checking the units of the solution can help identify any errors in the calculations.