Becoming a Great Mathematician Without a PhD by 19

• Thread starter gazzo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of being great mathematicians or physicists without obtaining a PhD by the age of 19. The speakers express their thoughts on the matter and mention challenges they have faced. It is concluded that while a PhD is not a requirement for greatness, determination and originality are key factors.
gazzo
Is it still possible to be great mathematicians if we don't have our PhD by the age of 19 ?

If we don't yet have a profound understanding of everything we put our minds to?

Or will we always be second best...

What challenges did you people face?

Your thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
I often ask myself the same question, except I'd much rather be a great physicist. :smile: I don't think there's a definite answer though, but I'm sure a lot of the greatest minds that ever lived did not have their PhD by the age of 19. If you're determined enough, almost anything is possible.

most of the "Greatest Minds" had produced their "Wonderworks" (For lack of, well, the right term, "PURSET's" perhaps) by the ripe old age of 24/25 soooo...presently I am in my 49th year of life...(means I'm 48)

Previously Un-Recognized Self Evident Truth...like that thing about generators and electrons, knowledge that is older then I am, known of prior to my Birth...but the first to connect it to prove that YUP! Electrons can be made by a generator (sorta) happened in these forums, this year...soooo...:cool:

Are you asking if its possible to be great if you actually get the Phd by that time, or if your just smart enough to get it at that time?

It's not important if you don't get just the PhD, its only important that you come up with something original/big/interesting. A PhD is not a requirement for this ;)

1. How is it possible to become a great mathematician without a PhD at such a young age?

While obtaining a PhD in mathematics is a common path for mathematicians, it is not the only path. With dedication, hard work, and natural talent, it is possible to excel in mathematics without obtaining a PhD. Many great mathematicians have achieved success without a PhD, including Srinivasa Ramanujan and Maryam Mirzakhani.

2. What steps can one take to become a great mathematician without a PhD by 19?

To become a great mathematician without a PhD by 19, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. This can be achieved through rigorous self-study, participating in math competitions, and seeking guidance from mentors or experienced mathematicians. It is also important to continuously challenge oneself and never stop learning.

3. Are there any specific areas of mathematics that one should focus on to become a great mathematician without a PhD?

While it is beneficial to have a broad knowledge of mathematics, it is also important to have a strong understanding and passion for a specific area of mathematics. This could be abstract algebra, number theory, geometry, or any other field. By focusing on a particular area, one can delve deeper into the subject and become an expert in that field.

4. Can one become a great mathematician without a PhD and still have a successful career?

Absolutely! While obtaining a PhD in mathematics can open up certain career opportunities, it is not a requirement for success in the field. Many mathematicians without a PhD have successful careers in academia, research, and industry. What matters most is one's passion, dedication, and ability to think critically and creatively.

5. Are there any disadvantages to not obtaining a PhD in mathematics?

There may be some disadvantages to not obtaining a PhD in mathematics, such as limited career options in certain fields or a lower salary compared to those with a PhD. However, these disadvantages can be overcome with hard work and determination. Ultimately, success in mathematics is not solely determined by one's educational qualifications, but rather by their passion, dedication, and ability to contribute to the field.