Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #1,401
What's up?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,402
nuuskur said:
What's up?

something. And I don't know what that something is either. But I'm sure it is up. We need to know it.

• #1,403
zoobyshoe said:
Public Seating Rule #1: pick the remaining seat which is farthest from all presently seated.

All reasonable people know this at birth.

I always get conflicted whenever I'm sitting in the bus in the middle of two people when one person suddenly leaves. If I scoot over, the person beside me will think I'm somehow repulsed by them and if I don't it will be very awkward sitting next to them when there's a free seat besides me. This gets especially bad if the person is overweight.

What do you guys do?

• #1,404
beamthegreat said:
I always get conflicted whenever I'm sitting in the bus in the middle of two people when one person suddenly leaves. If I scoot over, the person beside me will think I'm somehow repulsed by them and if I don't it will be very awkward sitting next to them when there's a free seat besides me. This gets especially bad if the person is overweight.

What do you guys do?

I scoot over. I don't believe the other person will think you are repulsed by them. They most likely would do the same thing. Like zooby said, it's natural. It's a bit more weird if you didn't move. I would want you to scoot over...unless you're really hot, or I'm cold, or scared and lonely...

You could always perform a trial of experiments. Try moving away, moving closer, staying in the same spot, sitting on their lap, etc. Record the results.

[/PLAIN]
Seat’s Taken! A Study of Antisocial Traveler Behavior

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,405
lisab said:
Reminds me of a good friend I had who was Czech. When she first moved here, she would meet new people with "How do you do?". She thought the amused looks were because she was saying it wrong, so she slowed it down and eee-nun-cee-ate-ed ev-err-ee sill-ah-bil to the best of her abilities.

(Btw no one ever says "How do you do" since...oh maybe 1970.)
Hihi. That's rich. She is a royal lady! ヽ(^。^)丿

• #1,406
nuuskur said:
What's up?

Up, I believe is the direction normal to the ground and away from it.
It also happens to be the name of an animated movie directed by Pete Docter.

• #1,407
Some of the posts I run across at PF are so funny, it makes me cry.

I tinkered with voodoo once. All the people I cursed are still alive. Perhaps I should not have used a frozen chicken. On the other hand, perhaps voodoo does not work as advertised . . . That is an appealing alternative explanation. If anyone cares to prove me wrong . . . put a curse on me now. If I don't post by next friday . . . I concede.

:rofl: :cry: :rofl:

• #1,408
I want a bunny so badly right now. If I could have it I would give it lots and lots of love... and food. (Ɔ ˘⌣˘)♥/(・ × ・)\

• #1,409
  • #1,410
Psinter said:
I want a bunny so badly right now. If I could have it I would give it lots and lots of love... and food. (Ɔ ˘⌣˘)♥/(・ × ・)\

Fun fact: Bunnies eat their own poop for better digestion.

• #1,411
Enigman said:
Fun fact: Bunnies eat their own poop for better digestion.

You should try it, it actually helps.

• #1,412
WWGD said:
You should try it, it actually helps.

I would rather eat the bunny.

• #1,413
This truth may be unknown.

Attachments

• poop-facts.jpg
    poop-facts.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 384
  • #1,414
My male friend thought it would be cool to try a ponytail until three people coming from behind him asked : "excuse me ma'am", while trying to walk through. Ponytail is gone.

• #1,415
WWGD said:
My male friend thought it would be cool to try a ponytail until three people coming from behind him asked : "excuse me ma'am", while trying to walk through. Ponytail is gone.
Steven Seagal has sported a ponytail for years. That alone is ironclad proof men should not have ponytails.

• #1,416
They have the tool, they advertised, but have no customers. How to find a customer ? A business without its customers is a dead one. Until they could find a customer, they should have been imprisoned because of unpaid bank loans.

• #1,417
I was told again today on the bus " you look familiar" . I just replied " I _am_ familiar"; what
other reply should one give?

• #1,418
WWGD said:
I was told again today on the bus " you look familiar" . I just replied " I _am_ familiar"; what
That's a good one.

• #1,419
The end of the world, as I know it, may happen tomorrow. I think I'm going to do some beer drinking to smooth any pain.

• #1,420
dlgoff said:
The end of the world, as I know it, may happen tomorrow. I think I'm going to do some beer drinking to smooth any pain.

I wish we could all gather at our PF local to share pain and soothe anxiety o:).

• #1,421
WWGD said:

I get that a lot (I guess I have common looks :biggrin:). I go through a Cliff's Notes version of my life history: I say, "Well, where might our paths have crossed? Did you ever live near Tahoe, or the bay area, or Alaska, or Oregon? Did you go to the University of Washington? Do you work in science or natural resources?" Mostly I get a string of no's. So then I shrug and say, "I don't know."

Unless they look familiar to me, too. Then we just look at each other and squint. I wonder if I've crossed paths with a sibling and it ended this way.

• #1,422
Today I tried to record the old chat noises of when somebody posts, enters chat and leaves chat, just in case I might write a browser plug-in for future chat. Unfortunately the particular [STRIKE]video[/STRIKE] sound card I have doesn't seem to support setting up the main buffer as a recording device, so I didn't succeed. :cry:

[Edit: In other words, I was unsuccessful at recording my computer's system sound, due to the particular sound card/drivers my computer has installed. The chat sounds are now only a memory.]

Last edited:
  • #1,423
collinsmark said:
Today I tried to record the old chat noises of when somebody posts, enters chat and leaves chat, just in case I might write a browser plug-in for future chat. Unfortunately the particular [STRIKE]video[/STRIKE] sound card I have doesn't seem to support setting up the main buffer as a recording device, so I didn't succeed. :cry:
I have the sounds!

• #1,424
Evo said:
I have the sounds!

Awesome! There's hope then!

• #1,425
collinsmark said:
Awesome! There's hope then!
Yes. we will get together on this. Take screen shots!

• #1,426
Evo said:
Yes. we will get together on this. Take screen shots!

Yes we will! Everyone be patient. There may be rough spots but we will get through!

• #1,427
Yes. We're a Family. We all pull together. Funny some people will prefer the new shoutbox. Those of us that loved the Jetson's chat will piece together our memories. :approve:

• #1,428
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqL_AEilq-w

• #1,429
lisab said:
I get that a lot (I guess I have common looks :biggrin:). I go through a Cliff's Notes version of my life history: I say, "Well, where might our paths have crossed? Did you ever live near Tahoe, or the bay area, or Alaska, or Oregon? Did you go to the University of Washington? Do you work in science or natural resources?" Mostly I get a string of no's. So then I shrug and say, "I don't know."

Unless they look familiar to me, too. Then we just look at each other and squint. I wonder if I've crossed paths with a sibling and it ended this way.

I see, so let me see if I got your idea. Someone tells me : " you look familiar", and I reply, loud -enough so that everyone around can hear me:

Yes, I think I was at your parole hearing. I can't believe they actually granted you parole .
BTW, I just saw your parole officer outside, and he was pissed. Maybe you should run back home and put that ankle bracelet back on.

Or,

Yes, I was the doctor in that Gonorrhea clinic. No one had ever seen anything that monstruous since Chernobyl. I remember I lost my lunch when I first saw it. I am surprised you're not being quarantined.

Is that it :) ?

• #1,430
WWGD said:
I see, so let me see if I got your idea. Someone tells me : " you look familiar", and I reply, loud -enough so that everyone around can hear me:

Yes, I think I was at your parole hearing. I can't believe they actually granted you parole .
BTW, I just saw your parole officer outside, and he was pissed. Maybe you should run back home and put that ankle bracelet back on.

Or,

Yes, I was the doctor in that Gonorrhea clinic. No one had ever seen anything that monstruous since Chernobyl. I remember I lost my lunch when I first saw it. I am surprised you're not being quarantined.

Is that it :) ?
lol.

• #1,431
So good to have a place to come "home" to again. Last night was rough without PF!

• #1,432
This is like switching from xp to 8...

<-And my avataar looks horrible

• #1,433
I have the cutest avatar.
BTW, many links to yesterday's threads have not been fixed.

• #1,434
physics.png

• #1,435
I need to find an animated gif under 50K.