Is magnifying thermal power density possible with decay heat

In summary, the thermal power of a pool of spent nuclear fuel is low, but if it was used to generate high quality heat with high efficiency, it could be worth it.
Evanish
Recently there was an interesting thread on physics forum about possible uses of spent nuclear fuel. It seems to me that one of the problems with using decay heath from spent nuclear fuel is the low power density. This got me thinking that maybe with enough insulation the low quality heat being produced could be made into high quality heat with high efficiency.

What I was picturing was a primary loop surrounded by an insulating void. Also, something to reflect photons back would probably help. Maybe even have it float using magnetic fields in order to minimize the heat transfer away from the loop except at a single point where the thermal energy is used to make steam. I drew a picture although it probably wasn't necessary. Is this at all feasible?
SpentFuelGeneratorIdea_zpsd42c44ca.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
As I stated in the other thread, there is no point in trying to harness power from spent fuel pools as the total power is not that much compared to the cost of building and maintaining such a system. The average heat load for a spent fuel pool may be around 1-2 MW thermal. If you achieved 20% thermal efficiency, you would generate 200-400 kW (250-500 HP). This comes out to around 5000 kw-hr per day, or perhaps $500 worth of energy. The cost to build and maintain the system would be in the millions, it's simply not worth it.

QuantumPion said:
As I stated in the other thread, there is no point in trying to harness power from spent fuel pools as the total power is not that much compared to the cost of building and maintaining such a system. The average heat load for a spent fuel pool may be around 1-2 MW thermal. If you achieved 20% thermal efficiency, you would generate 200-400 kW (250-500 HP). This comes out to around 5000 kw-hr per day, or perhaps $500 worth of energy. The cost to build and maintain the system would be in the millions, it's simply not worth it.
I'm a big fan of nuclear power. I'm hoping for breeder reactors someday (hopefully soon) meeting most of the worlds energy needs (unless something better comes along before then). If so then their should be somewhere in the range of thousands of tons of fission products produced each year (assuming 9 billion people with decent lifestyles). Most of that won't remain radioactive for long, but some of it will. I don't like waste. It feels like there should be some good way of make use of those fissile products. Also, portable, non fossil fuel, energy sources are likely to increase in importance as time goes on.

Probably you are right and about the economics of what I’m talking about. Still, I can't help hopping. How many millions do you think such a reactor would take? If it's only a couple million it might be worthwhile (after all a 2 MW wind turbine costs between 3 and 4 million dollars and it's capacity factor is close to 20%) , but if it's hundreds of million then probably not worth it although the PR value of using nuclear waste might trump the economic concerns. Maybe they could combine spent nuclear fuel from more than one reactor to make it more economical, or use some of the host reactors systems to save money.

Last edited:
There is a pool with some 2000 steel capsules with Sr-90 and Cs-137 fluoride salts at Hanford. Their thermal power is ~300kW. Here's a photo.

taryn-simon-growth-01-690x532.jpg

WESF_capsules_053112 88.jpg.jpg

1. What is magnifying thermal power density?

Magnifying thermal power density refers to the process of increasing the amount of thermal energy produced per unit volume or area. This can be achieved by various means such as concentrating thermal energy using lenses or mirrors, or increasing the efficiency of thermal energy conversion systems.

2. Is magnifying thermal power density possible with decay heat?

Yes, it is possible to magnify thermal power density with decay heat. Decay heat is the thermal energy released from radioactive materials as they undergo radioactive decay. This heat can be harnessed and concentrated to increase the overall thermal power density.

3. How is magnifying thermal power density with decay heat beneficial?

Magnifying thermal power density with decay heat can be beneficial in various ways. It can increase the efficiency of power generation from nuclear reactors, reduce the size and cost of thermal energy systems, and potentially lead to the development of new, more efficient energy sources.

4. What are the challenges of magnifying thermal power density with decay heat?

One of the main challenges of magnifying thermal power density with decay heat is managing and controlling the high temperatures involved. This requires advanced materials and engineering techniques to ensure safety and efficiency. Additionally, there may be concerns about the environmental impact of increased thermal power density.

5. Are there any current research or developments in magnifying thermal power density with decay heat?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development in this area. Scientists are exploring different methods of magnifying thermal power density, such as using advanced materials and designs for thermal energy systems. There is also research being done on the effects of increased thermal power density on the environment and potential solutions to mitigate any negative impacts.