Questions on operating a nuclear power plant on the Moon or Mars

In summary: The device consists of a sealed Stirling engine powered by heat from uranium. It will produce power at 10 KW. The device is shielded from the environment so that it will not release radioactive materials into the environment.What is the purpose of this device?The purpose of the device is to generate electricity.
KurtLudwig
Gold Member
Heat cannot be removed by liquid-to-gas heat exchangers since there is no substantial atmospheres on the Moon or on Mars. It cannot be dissipated by venting steam since there is a critical water shortage. It cannot be dissipated by rocks or soil since both are essentially thermal insulators. It appears heat can only be dissipated by liquid-to-thermal radiation. Without having done any calculations, these heat exchangers will be huge to radiate heat generated by nuclear power plant.
I tend to believe that solar panels on the Moon is a much more reasonable solution to power generation. The drawback is that electric energy will need to be stored in Lithium-ion batteries to supply electricity during the lunar night of 14 days.

Physics news on Phys.org
KurtLudwig said:
It cannot be dissipated by rocks or soil since both are essentially thermal insulators.
I guess you mean dry soil? Soil on the Earth is a pretty good thermal conductor, I believe, but I guess that is just because of the moisture in the soil?

Don't get me wrong : I'm all in favour of solar power anywhere there's a solar - including extraterrestrial operations - but ... you do realize PV panels are only 20% efficient at best, right ? and that's at 30C. Where does the other 80% go ?

Last edited:
KurtLudwig said:
Summary:: It has been proposed to operate nuclear power plants on the Moon and on Mars.
How do you build a nuclear power planet on the Moon or Mars?

KurtLudwig said:
It has been proposed to operate nuclear power plants on the Moon and on Mars.
Proposed by whom? And to what purpose? “Nuclear power plants” is not very specific. It’s hard to comment sensibly without knowing what is being proposed and why.

Likes gmax137
Electric power will be needed when man and women settle on the Moon or Mars. I have read read in magazine articles and on the Internet that small nuclear power plants have been proposed to produce electric power.
The main question on this post is: How can heat be removed from such nuclear power plants? As on earth, nuclear power plants need heat to be removed to operate. The only option I know of is by radiation.

Power can be radiated out to space.

The moon's surface is warmed when facing the sun, and it cools when in the shade. The energy lost during cooling is radiated into space.

After we succeed in transporting 1 ton of stuff to Mars, how long do you expect it to take to transport a million tons to Mars? a billion tons?

Nugatory said:
Proposed by whom? And to what purpose? “Nuclear power plants” is not very specific. It’s hard to comment sensibly without knowing what is being proposed and why.
Exactly, there is a huge difference between a radioisotope thermoelectric generator making a couple hundred watts and a 1 GWe "power plant."

Likes KurtLudwig
Rough order of magnitude, the sun radiates the surface of the Earth or moon with about one kilowatt per square meter. It follows that one square meter of Earth or moon surface can radiate one kilowatt to space at a moderate temperature.

So, rough order of magnitude, we need a one kilometer square footprint to dump heat from a 1 GW plant.

Likes KurtLudwig
jbriggs444 said:
So, rough order of magnitude, we need a one kilometer square footprint to dump heat from a 1 GW plant.

That's at least the same order of magnitude as for the TOPAZ II reactor. It had an electrical power of 6 kW with 7.2 m² radiator area (according to https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/10151265). That corresponds to 1.2 km²/GW. As the efficiency was just around 5 %, there is a possibility to reduce the area by upscaling and with a modern design. But I don't expect it to be much less than 1 km².

For comparison: The solar arrays of the ISS have an area of 2500 m² and can generate 84 to 120 kW of electricity energy (according to https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/elements/solar_arrays-about.html). That corresponds to 21...30 km²/GW. On Mars it would be much more due to the increased distance from the Sun and the atmosphere. I think that's where the idea of nuclear power plants comes from.

Likes KurtLudwig
Thank you all for your answers.
In the meantime I did more searching at NASA and reviewing in a physics textbook.
As you know, the radiative heat loss is calculated by the Stephan-Boltzmann Law, S = 5.67x10^-8 times (difference in absolute temperature)^4power. Any activity on the Moon or Mars will require radiative heat removal, such as digging tunnels for habitation and growing food.
Since Mars is further from the Sun than the Moon and photovoltaics will be less efficient in generating electricity, NASA has developed and tested a nuclear powered device to generate electricity. The device consists of a sealed Stirling engine powered by heat from uranium. It will produce power at 10 KW. The device is shielded from the Sun with an large umbrella-type heat shield, to make the thermal radiation more efficient.
Physics really comes into play in space travel and establishing a lunar base.
We all realize the formidable obstacles and huge (astronomical) resources required to eventually establish a permanent base on Mars. It can only be jointly funded by the more prosperous nations over decades.

Plugging some numbers into a calculator for radiation, I get 4,900 W/sq m for a PWR operating at a return water temperature of 275C.

Also if the radiation can be contained some part of that heat can probably be used in living quarters and hydroponic gardens on its way out Particularly on Mars I would think. I hope there is good water to be had.

hutchphd said:
Also if the radiation can be contained some part of that heat can probably be used in living quarters and hydroponic gardens on its way out Particularly on Mars I would think. I hope there is good water to be had.
1613156868028.png

Likes hutchphd

1. How would a nuclear power plant operate on the Moon or Mars?

A nuclear power plant on the Moon or Mars would operate similarly to a nuclear power plant on Earth. It would use a nuclear reactor to generate heat, which would then be used to create steam and turn turbines to produce electricity. However, the design and materials used for the reactor would need to be adapted for the unique environmental conditions on the Moon or Mars.

2. What are the potential risks of operating a nuclear power plant on the Moon or Mars?

The main risks of operating a nuclear power plant on the Moon or Mars include potential accidents or malfunctions that could release radiation into the environment. There is also the risk of contamination from nuclear waste, which would need to be properly managed and disposed of. Additionally, the harsh environmental conditions on the Moon or Mars could pose challenges for the safe operation of the plant.

3. How would the nuclear power plant be powered on the Moon or Mars?

The nuclear power plant would be powered by a nuclear fuel, such as uranium or plutonium, which would undergo a controlled chain reaction to produce heat. This heat would then be used to generate electricity through a steam turbine system. The fuel would need to be transported from Earth or obtained from natural resources on the Moon or Mars.

4. What regulations and safety measures would need to be in place for a nuclear power plant on the Moon or Mars?

Just like on Earth, a nuclear power plant on the Moon or Mars would need to adhere to strict regulations and safety measures to ensure the protection of the environment and human health. This would include regular inspections, proper training for personnel, and emergency response plans in case of accidents or malfunctions. Additionally, measures would need to be taken to prevent any potential contamination of the surrounding areas.

5. What are the potential benefits of operating a nuclear power plant on the Moon or Mars?

One potential benefit of a nuclear power plant on the Moon or Mars is the ability to generate a large amount of electricity in a relatively small and self-sustaining system. This could be especially beneficial for long-term human settlements on these celestial bodies. Additionally, nuclear power does not produce greenhouse gas emissions, making it a more environmentally friendly option for powering human activities on the Moon or Mars.