Is math/physics dual major worth it?(to get into grad school

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of course selection, GPA, and research experience for undergraduate students interested in pursuing graduate school in theoretical or mathematical physics. It is suggested that focusing on research and taking challenging courses may be more beneficial in the long run, rather than simply aiming for a high GPA. The conversation also touches on the potential differences between applied and fundamental research in these fields.
maughanster
Hi everybody!

To be concise
-My undergraduate majors are math and physics
-I want to go on and do research in physics (probably theoretical/mathematical physics) and be a professor.
-My GPA is a 3.98 and Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra will likely drag down my GPA (I'm currently in these classes)
-I asked a professor if I could do research with him and he said yes.
-He said he had no use for analysis and algebra and asked me to start learning MAPLE/DiffGeometry/tensors/GR.

So the question "Will I get into a better graduate school if I just major in physics and devote myself to research and learning only the math I'll need, or if I dual major?"

Thanks for your advice. I think this should apply to many undergraduates out there.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the choice is between real analysis and algebra on the one hand, and solid research and a good GPA on the other, then choose for the latter.

Likes Timo
maughanster said:
Hi everybody!

To be concise
-My undergraduate majors are math and physics
-I want to go on and do research in physics (probably theoretical/mathematical physics) and be a professor.
-My GPA is a 3.98 and Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra will likely drag down my GPA (I'm currently in these classes)
-I asked a professor if I could do research with him and he said yes.
-He said he had no use for analysis and algebra and asked me to start learning MAPLE/DiffGeometry/tensors/GR.

So the question "Will I get into a better graduate school if I just major in physics and devote myself to research and learning only the math I'll need, or if I dual major?"

Thanks for your advice. I think this should apply to many undergraduates out there.
Real analysis and abstract algebra are generally useless courses for theoretical physicists, who by necessity operate at a lower level of mathematical rigor. Mathematical physicists are really mathematicians and care more about such things. Ask yourself if you want to go to the math or physics departments for graduate school. If you want to be a mathematician both courses I assume are essential.

GPA/research >> courses taken. Even taking graduate level physics courses at the expense of GPA/research is unwise. A letter of recommendation, or better, a publication, will get you vastly farther.

I think your course selection does matter, especially for a theorist. Taking grad courses definitely looks good for admissions purposes and most theorists I know at my current institution did that if they were available. If you get a high GPA but took easier courses, that won't get you anywhere. They want to see that you challenged yourself.

Also, it is possible to get out of core requirements if you have taken the corresponding grad course and submit a petition at many places. Or you can test out of them sometimes.

In regards to the math major, it is definitely not necessary for most fields of theoretical physics.

Likes Student100
radium said:
I think your course selection does matter, especially for a theorist. Taking grad courses definitely looks good for admissions purposes and most theorists I know at my current institution did that if they were available. If you get a high GPA but took easier courses, that won't get you anywhere. They want to see that you challenged yourself.

Exactly. Taking easy courses with a great GPA will impress nobody. But taking hard courses and getting bad grades is very bad too. As a future grad student, you should be able to take hard courses and get good grades on them. If you can't pull that off, then grad school is not for you.

Likes Student100
micromass said:
Exactly. Taking easy courses with a great GPA will impress nobody. But taking hard courses and getting bad grades is very bad too. As a future grad student, you should be able to take hard courses and get good grades on them. If you can't pull that off, then grad school is not for you.
I suppose this might be an applied vs. fundamental issue. It's probably very rare for an undergraduate to do anything meaningful research wise in pure math or fundamental theoretical physics. However for more applied theoretical/computational work research seems to be weighted far more heavily than GPA/courses taken.

1. Is a dual major in math and physics more beneficial for getting into grad school?

This ultimately depends on the specific grad school and program you are applying to. Some programs may value a dual major in math and physics, while others may place more importance on a strong background in one field. It is important to research the requirements and preferences of the grad schools you are interested in to determine if a dual major is worth pursuing.

2. Will a dual major in math and physics give me an advantage in the application process?

Having a dual major in math and physics can demonstrate a strong aptitude for both fields and a well-rounded academic background. However, it is not a guarantee for admission into grad school. Other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements also play a significant role in the application process.

3. Can a dual major in math and physics help me stand out among other applicants?

A dual major in math and physics can certainly make you stand out among other applicants, especially if the grad program you are applying to has a heavy focus on mathematical and scientific research. It shows a high level of dedication and expertise in both fields, which can be attractive to admissions committees.

4. Are there any specific grad programs that value a dual major in math and physics?

There are many grad programs in fields such as engineering, physics, and applied mathematics that highly value a dual major in math and physics. These programs often require a strong foundation in both fields, making a dual major a valuable asset. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in to determine if a dual major is recommended or required.

5. Is it more difficult to maintain a high GPA with a dual major in math and physics?

A dual major in math and physics can be challenging, as it requires a significant amount of coursework and dedication. However, if you have a passion for both fields and are willing to put in the work, it is possible to maintain a high GPA. Time management and effective study strategies are key to success in a dual major program.