Is $\mathcal{R}$ Lie Group Without 0?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether ##(\mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\},\cdot)## is a Lie group, the generators of the corresponding Lie algebra ##\mathbb{R}##, and the concept of a Lie algebra. It is clarified that the Lie algebra is a vector space with a finite number of independent generators, but the Lie algebra itself has an infinite number of elements. It is also mentioned that the exponential map is not always surjective and only generates the identity component of the group.
LagrangeEuler
Is it ##(\mathcal{R} without \{0\},\cdot)## Lie group?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is a Lie group.

Try \setminus in the future by the way.
[tex] \mathbb{R} \setminus \{0\}. [/tex]

Was there anything about the definition of a Lie group which you thought it might not satisfy?

Tnx. I can not find generators of Lie algebra for this group ##(\mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\},\cdot)##. What is Lie algebra for ##(\mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\},\cdot)##?

Last edited:
Have you heard of the Lie groups ##\mathrm{GL}\left( n, \mathbb{R} \right)## with corresponding Lie algebras ##\mathfrak{gl}\left( n, \mathbb{R} \right)##?

I think you want to say that ##(\mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\},\cdot)## is ##GL(1,\mathbb{R})##. I never heard about algebra ##gl(1,\mathbb{R})##.

LagrangeEuler said:
I think you want to say that ##(\mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\},\cdot)## is ##GL(1,\mathbb{R})##. I never heard about algebra ##gl(1,\mathbb{R})##.

Right. ##\mathfrak{gl}(1,\mathbb{R}) = \mathbb{R}##.

See 2.1 in

http://www.math.jhu.edu/~fspinu/423/8.pdf

Here, ##G^0## is the connected component of ##G##.

I always thought that advantage of Lie algebra is finite number of generators, while group has infinity elements. But in this case, if I understand you well, you have infinite number of generators. So I do not understand concept of Lie algebra any more. :(

LagrangeEuler said:
I always thought that advantage of Lie algebra is finite number of generators, while group has infinity elements. But in this case, if I understand you well, you have infinite number of generators. So I do not understand concept of Lie algebra any more. :(

A Lie algebra is a vector space. The number of independent generators is the dimension of the Lie algebra, i.e., the set of independent generators is a basis for the Lie algebra. The actual Lie algebra is the set of all possible linear combinations of the generators, and thus has an infinite number of elements.

In this case, ##\mathbb{R}## is a one-dimensional vector space, and thus there is one (independent) generator.

For example, take the generator to be ##X = 1##. Then the Lie algebra is ##\left\{tX\right\}##, and ##e^{tX}## gives positive real numbers, i.e., elements of the connected component of the Lie group.

Thanks for the answer. When I write ##(\mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\},\cdot)## I think about all real numbers without ##0##. When you take exponentials of real numbers you would not get negative numbers. So I'm not sure in this particular case how you will reproduce all members of group ##(\mathbb{R},\setminus\{0\})##, starting from Lie algebre ##\mathbb{R}##.

Except this I understand now concept better. Thank you. Generators of Lie algebra (vector space), are l. independent vectors. So ##\mathbb{R}^n## has ##n## generators of algebra (still finite number).

Last edited:
LagrangeEuler said:
When you take exponentials of real numbers you would not get negative numbers. So I'm not sure in this particular case how you will reproduce all members of group ##(\mathbb{R},\setminus\{0\})##, starting from Lie algebre ##\mathbb{R}##.

Depending on what you mean by "reproduce all members of a group" this is silly for a couple reasons:
  1. The exponential map is not usually surjective. So unless you restrict your attention to compact connected groups, or something like that, then it is too much to expect the exponential to reproduce the entire group this way.
  2. If you have a connected (possibly non-compact) Lie group, then the image of the exponential map gives you enough group members to generate the rest. This does not apply to R× since it is not connected.
What happens in this case (really every case) is that the image of the exponential map generates the identity component of the group. So I have no idea what the problem here is.

Last edited:

Related to Is $\mathcal{R}$ Lie Group Without 0?

1. What is a Lie group without 0?

A Lie group without 0 is a mathematical concept that refers to a type of algebraic structure called a group, which also satisfies certain smoothness or continuity properties. This type of group does not include the element 0, or the identity element, in its structure.

2. How is a Lie group without 0 different from a regular Lie group?

A regular Lie group includes the element 0, or the identity element, in its structure. This means that the group's operation is closed under multiplication, and the identity element acts as the neutral element for this operation. A Lie group without 0, on the other hand, does not have an identity element and may not be closed under multiplication.

3. What are some examples of Lie groups without 0?

Examples of Lie groups without 0 include the multiplicative group of positive real numbers, the special unitary group, and the symplectic group. These groups do not have an identity element, as the identity element would be equal to 0, which is not included in their structure.

4. What are the benefits of studying Lie groups without 0?

Studying Lie groups without 0 can provide insights into more general algebraic structures and their properties. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of groups without the constraints of an identity element. In addition, Lie groups without 0 have applications in various fields such as physics, geometry, and differential equations.

5. What are the challenges in studying Lie groups without 0?

One of the main challenges in studying Lie groups without 0 is the complexity of their structure. These groups may not have an obvious geometric interpretation, making it more difficult to visualize and understand their properties. Additionally, the lack of an identity element can make some operations and proofs more challenging.