Is My Free Body Diagram for a Frame Accurate?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
12 replies · 3K views
YehiaMedhat
Messages
21
Reaction score
3
Homework Statement
Can you check my free body diagrams for the whole frames
Relevant Equations
$\sum F_y=0,\sum F_x=0$
Screenshot_20221224-203634_Xodo Docs.jpg
can you check if I sketched it correctly?
And please if you know any good resources refrence it.
Screenshot_20221224-171241_Xodo Docs.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, @YehiaMedhat !

It seems to me that P is missing, as well as location of D.
Note that for the armature not to collapse, the L-shaped element BC must be rigid and resisting an internal moment.
 
Last edited:
More explanation please.
And where could i find info i need for this?
 
YehiaMedhat said:
More explanation please.
The joint where B and C meet is the only rigid joint in the structure. Can you not see how the whole thing would just fold downwards against the wall if BC is not rigid?
 
YehiaMedhat said:
It seems that i don't even understand what rigid body means
It means a body for which none of the parts can move relative to each other. Only the whole body can move.
 
Well I understand that but why there's an internal moment and where i should put on the sketch.
I'm sorry but all the mechanics is confusing so I try hard to gather informed together
 
YehiaMedhat said:
Well I understand that but why there's an internal moment and where i should put on the sketch.
I'm sorry but all the mechanics is confusing so I try hard to gather informed together
It seems to me that your problem here is that you don't understand the fundamentals of simple joints yet, so a problem this complex is beyond you. I recommend studying the basic more.
 
Can you refrence a specific object.
Cause I actually did revise from the text book and online tutorials about fbd and frames in general
 
YehiaMedhat said:
Well I understand that but why there's an internal moment and where i should put on the sketch.
I'm sorry but all the mechanics is confusing so I try hard to gather informed together
Clarification:
You don't need to put any internal force on the sketch, as a FBD only shows external forces on each member.
That includes force P, which you have not shown.

Please, see:
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-osuniversityphysics/chapter/5-7-drawing-free-body-diagrams/

and

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/s.../chapter/12-2-examples-of-static-equilibrium/

Sorry about the induced confusion.
I just tried to imply that the L=shaped member BC could be replaced with a straight string, rope or chain, without affecting the static balance of the armature.

eng130C4_t1-scaled.jpg
 
Last edited:
That's great. Thanks for help Mr. Lnewqban and Mr. Phindin
 
YehiaMedhat said:
That's great. Thanks for help Mr. Lnewqban and Mr. Phindin
You are welcome. :smile:

In these problems, the first step is to treat the armature as a solid regarding forces and reactions acting on it.
For that, you use the three equations of balance of x-forces, y-forces and moments that you know.

In that way, you can find the values of the reactions (at points A and B in this case).
You can then use those calculated values to solve the rest of the questions in the problem (forces at connections of links).

If interested, please see this presentation:
https://www.iitg.ac.in/rkbc/me101/Presentation/L-06-08.pdf

🎄:cool: 🎄
 
Last edited: