Is my linear algebra proof correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the statement that the rank of a linear transformation T is equal to the rank of its matrix representation L_A, where A is the matrix representation of T in the ordered bases β and γ. The proof involves using the result that the dimension of the image of a subspace V0 under an isomorphism T is equal to the dimension of V0. The conversation also mentions the definitions of F^n and F^m, as well as the function L_A. Overall, the conversation showcases a detailed and sophisticated approach to linear algebra.
Buri
I'd like to have someone check whether my proof of the following is correct. The definitions of all the stuff I use is in part 2, just to make sure we're all on the same page.

Homework Statement

Let T: V → W be a linear transformation from an n-dimensional vector space V to an m-dimensional vector space W. Let β and γ be ordered bases for V and W, respectively. Prove that rank(T) = rank(L_A), where A = [T].

Homework Equations

L_A is the mapping L_A: F^n → F^m defined by L_A (x) = Ax (the matrix product of A and x) for each column vector x in F^n.

The standard representation of V with respect to β is the function φ_β: V → F^n defined by φ_β(x) = [x]_β (i.e. the vector of x relative to β).

A result I've proved already:

Let V and W be finite-dimensional vector spaces and T: V → W be an isomorphism. Let V0 be a subspace of V. Then T(V0) is a subspace of W and dim(V0) = dim(T(V0)).

Let V and W be a vector spaces of dimension n and m, respectively, and let T: V → W be a linear transformation. Define A = [T] (i.e. the matrix representation of T in the ordered bases β and γ). So we have the following relationship (please ignore the dotted lines):

V------T--------->W
|...... |
|......|
φ_β......φ_γ
|......|
F^n -------L_A---> F^m

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll show that φ_γ(R(T)) = R(L_A) (R here is talking about the range..). From which then the result I'd proved already I'll have dim(R(T)) = dim(φ_γ(R(T)) = dim(R(L_A)) (remember that φ_γ(R(T) and R(L_A) are both in F^m).

So let x be in φ_γ(R(T)). This means for some T(y) in R(T) I have x = φ_γ(T(y)) which means x = [T(y)]_γ = [T][y]_β = Ay which is in R(L_A). Since its arbitrary I've shown that φ_γ(R(T))⊂ R(L_A).

Further, let z in R(L_A). Then z = Ax for some x in F^n. Therefore, z = [T][x]_β = [T(x)]_γ which is in φ_γ(R(T)). Therefore, R(L_A) ⊂ φ_γ(R(T)) and hence, R(L_A) = φ_γ(R(T)). So by the result I'd proved earlier dim(R(T)) = dim(φ_γ(R(T))) = dim(R(L_A)).

Was this correctly done? Or am I at least on the right track? I'd really appreciate the help. I'm taking a look at linear algebra on my own this summer, so any help is REALLY appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is "F^m" are "F^n"? Correspondingly, what is L_A? I haven't read the last part (main part) of your proof, but I suspect whatever you're trying to prove can be easily done using the simple fact that the rank of a transformation is defined as the dimension of it's image.

F^n is the set of n-tuples with entries in a field F, likewise F^m. The definition of L_A is in Part 2.

Then I would have just said something like rank(T) = rank([T]) almost by definition, and then used the fact that F^n is isomorphic to V and F^m is isomorphic to W. The result follows immediately. Your proof seems correct on first reading, but also seems a bit convoluted. Very sophisticated work for a first run at linear algebra though.

Ranks of matrices haven't been defined in the text at this part. That's why I'm applying this result:

Let V and W be finite-dimensional vector spaces and T: V → W be an isomorphism. Let V0 be a subspace of V. Then T(V0) is a subspace of W and dim(V0) = dim(T(V0)).

...to the diagram I attempted to show above.

Buri said:
Ranks of matrices haven't been defined in the text at this part. That's why I'm applying this result:

...to the diagram I attempted to show above.

Ahh ok then. Out of curiosity, what book are you using? Usually if you're working with matrix representations of transformations, you've learned to apply the ideas of rank to them.

The text I'm using is Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Insel & Spence. Its the text they use at University of Toronto for first year algebra in the pure mathematics program.

1. How can I check if my linear algebra proof is correct?

There are several steps you can take to check the correctness of your linear algebra proof. First, make sure you understand the problem and the concepts involved. Then, carefully go through each step of your proof and check for any errors or logical inconsistencies. You can also try solving the problem using a different method or approach to see if you get the same result. Finally, it's always helpful to have someone else review your proof for any mistakes or areas that may need clarification.

2. What are some common mistakes to look out for in linear algebra proofs?

Some common mistakes in linear algebra proofs include incorrect use of notation, incorrect assumptions or premises, incorrect application of theorems or formulas, and logical errors. It's important to carefully check each step of your proof to ensure that it is accurate and follows a logical flow.

3. Is it necessary to show all steps in a linear algebra proof?

Yes, it is important to show all steps in a linear algebra proof to demonstrate a clear understanding of the problem and the concepts involved. It also allows others to follow your thought process and identify any potential mistakes or errors.

4. How can I improve my linear algebra proof writing skills?

One way to improve your linear algebra proof writing skills is to practice regularly. Choose a variety of problems and try to solve them using different approaches. It's also helpful to study and understand the properties and theorems of linear algebra, as well as the different techniques for proving them. Additionally, seeking feedback from others and reviewing well-written proofs can also help improve your skills.

5. What should I do if I'm still unsure about the correctness of my linear algebra proof?

If you're still unsure about the correctness of your linear algebra proof, you can seek assistance from a mentor, teacher, or peer. They can provide valuable feedback and help identify any mistakes or areas that need improvement. You can also try to solve the problem using a different method to see if you get the same result, or discuss your approach with others to gain a better understanding of the problem.