Is my speed calculation correct?

In summary, to calculate your speed, divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. It is important to calculate your speed correctly for accurate tracking of progress and for scientific research. The units used for speed calculation depend on the units used for distance and time. To double-check your calculation, you can use different methods or formulas and ask for a second opinion. External factors such as wind resistance, road surface, and elevation changes can affect your speed calculation in real-life situations.
madeeeeee

Homework Statement

Kayleigh is standing on top of a 30 m high cliff shoots a 500 g arrow with a speed of 25 m/s. What is the impact speed of the arrow right before it strikes the ground below? Ignore air resistance and friction.

Homework Equations

Et= Ek+Eg

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2mv1^2 + mgh = 1/2mv2^2

v2^2= Square root of 2(1/2 (25m/s)^2 + (9.8 m/s^2)(30m)
vs^2= 34.82 m/s Is my answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it looks correct to me.

Yes, your speed calculation appears to be correct. You have correctly used the equation for conservation of energy (Et= Ek+Eg) to determine the final speed of the arrow before impact. You have also correctly accounted for the initial kinetic energy (1/2mv1^2) and the gravitational potential energy (mgh). Well done!

1. How do I calculate my speed?

To calculate your speed, divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula is speed = distance / time.

2. Why is it important to calculate my speed correctly?

Calculating your speed correctly is important because it helps you accurately track your progress and determine how long it will take to reach your destination. It is also essential in conducting experiments and analyzing data in scientific research.

3. What units should I use for my speed calculation?

The units you use for your speed calculation will depend on the units used for distance and time. For example, if distance is measured in kilometers and time is measured in hours, your speed will be in kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. How can I double-check my speed calculation?

You can double-check your speed calculation by using different methods or formulas, if applicable, and comparing the results. You can also ask a colleague or peer to review your calculations.

5. Can my speed calculation be affected by external factors?

Yes, there are external factors that can affect your speed calculation, such as wind resistance, road surface, and elevation changes. These factors should be taken into consideration when calculating speed in real-life situations.