Is Newton's Law of Restitution Accurate for Eccentric Impacts?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter aim1732
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law Newton's law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
aim1732
Messages
428
Reaction score
2
I have used Newton's law of restitution without problem in collisions between point objects but there seems to be a problem in its application in eccentric impacts.
I have always thought it is applied to points on rigid extended bodies that come in contact during the collision for eccentric collisions.[applied here implying their velocities are considered in the equation--
(-velocity of separation/velocity of approach) = e ]
But I recently came across suggestions on this forum that velocities of centres of mass of the extended objects is to be considered instead. Am I getting it wrong? Regrets if I am asking a stupid question...
For reference here is the link to the thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=435457"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
aim1732 said:
I have used Newton's law of restitution without problem in collisions between point objects but there seems to be a problem in its application in eccentric impacts.
I have always thought it is applied to points on rigid extended bodies that come in contact during the collision for eccentric collisions.[applied here implying their velocities are considered in the equation--
(-velocity of separation/velocity of approach) = e ]
But I recently came across suggestions on this forum that velocities of centres of mass of the extended objects is to be considered instead. Am I getting it wrong?
I'd say that you are correct, as long as you mean the normal components of the contact velocities. (I haven't looked at that thread.) You'd only use the velocities of the centers of mass for point objects.
 
I'd say that you are correct, as long as you mean the normal components of the contact velocities.
Yes I meant the normal components.

Thanks a lot!