Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is one lifetime too little to learn all about the Universe?

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1

DREAMWALKER

Gold Member

I am 30. I am right in the middle of my lifetime, more or less. And I wonder if half a life is enough to grasp Physics by the horns and learn all about nature?

I totally love physics, the beauty and mystery that the universe truly is. I actually feel empty without reading or seeing something about physics everyday.

I truly believe I have no other purpose in life but to keep staring at the sky in awe, all the time.

What do you think? Is one lifetime too little to grasp the most beautiful mystery of our times, Universe and space?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

All about nature? Yes, it is too short to learn everything about nature.

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3

DREAMWALKER

Gold Member

And the universe? I mean, it almost takes a lifetime to even understand what is already known. When do we start to exploring it our way?

5. Mar 11, 2015 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Can you explain what you mean?

6. Mar 11, 2015 #5
    If you want to learn the entirety of knowledge about nature that humans have gathered so far, it would be an impossible task for one person to complete. If you were born two centuries ago (maybe even one), it would still be a feasible goal I believe. A lot of the great early scientists were polymaths. But every branch of science is sprouting ever more specialized fields and the boundary of knowledge is ever-expanding.

However, grasping the core concepts and understanding the bigger picture is do-able in my opinion. You don't need to know every nitty gritty detail of something to be able to explain how it works or behaves or to predict what will happen in a given scenario.
    Mind you, this is still a gargantuan task and new discoveries that might overhaul established pictures are always lurking around the corner.

7. Mar 12, 2015 #6

DREAMWALKER

Gold Member

You know...starting to build our own theories. Starting to use all the knowledge we gathered, etc.

8. Mar 13, 2015 #7
    I think there's some beauty to be found knowing we will never know it all, it is the eternal dream that will never happen it is a beautiful tragedy. If you think about it, the people who know so much, whose whole purpose in life is to know all about nature will never gain a complete understanding. All we can do is learn as much as we can and then pass it on to the next generation. I feel like that's one of the main beauties of physics and science in general. Exploring the unknown even though we will never know it all

9. Mar 13, 2015 #8
    That sounds good. I don't care about exploring the universe anymore, every time I start to read up on it, I get frustrated and disappointed a lot. I may be mentally ill, I just don't know. When people act as if I was a plague in a modern society, that's really hurtful even when I didn't mean to approach anyone any nearer at all.
    I think having more things to read or learn means having more things consumed by our brain. It takes me too much time and even sickens me sometimes...Never more.

10. Mar 13, 2015 #9
    I understand what you feel completely, it can be really overwhelming but taking this stance on the matter is perhaps the only way i can find peace in life, accepting the fact that you will never be perfect or learn it all is very beneficial to mental health. I know I suffered the feelings you describe for a long time in fact I still get frustrated a fair bit. What do you by people treat you as a plague on modern society?

11. Mar 13, 2015 #10
    I still do not understand what you mean :confused:. What you describe is already happening, and has been happening, all the time.

12. Mar 13, 2015 #11
    Thanks for your understandings. In fact, I didn't mean to get A or A+ in school. I misunderstood the course completely as I hadn't learned the materials well.
    It is like a social stigma along with misunderstandings about the disease I have that people will not act as naturally as they should.

13. Mar 13, 2015 #12

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

You mean like scientists do every day?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook