Is Parapsychology Accepted in the Scientific Community?

• Thread starter Adrian Lee
  • Start date
In summary, some reputable scientists are discussing the possibility of precognition and other paranormal phenomena, while others are skeptical. Some physicists are open to the possibility, while others are critical.
Adrian Lee
I wonder if it is allowed to discuss this topic here,since it is the general discussion forum.
I’m interested in biophysics,and while reading essays I came over people citing these articles which studies this topic.Some of the researchers are from reputable leading universities and they post articles on parapsychological journals that mainstream scientists ignore.They claim to have found evidence for precognition,PK (intentionally influencing random number generators),communicating with the dead and so on.Skeptics like James Alcock,Sean Carrol have been criticizing.Some physicists are open to this and propose models of consciousness (altering the born rule,using many worlds…) to explain them.
I’m worried about it’s implications,for example,idealism or solipsism,which I cannot accept.
I’ve been discussing these with famous scientists like Scott Aaronson,and these topics always push them away from me…

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding communication with the dead ... a family was paying its last respects to a loved one at the funeral parlour, when a mobile phone went off inside the coffin. It went unanswered.

Adrian Lee said:
They claim to have found evidence
and none of that claims survives the peer review.

At the same time we know enough about the world and its physics to not see gaps where parapsychological phenomena could fit. You are either serious about the treatment of reality, or you do cargo science.

Likes phinds
Borek said:
and none of that claims survives the peer review.

At the same time we know enough about the world and its physics to not see gaps where parapsychological phenomena could fit. You are either serious about the treatment of reality, or you do cargo science.
But in 2018 they had a paper on American Psychologist claiming for strong evidence.(Reber and Alcock had a refutation published at once)
Both sides had physicists supporting their views.Two anon physicists confirmed Alcock’s criticism,and some (even Nobels included,but the Brian Josephson’crackpot kind).
I wonder why some reputable physicists,in their late ages,pick up the interest in these stuff.For example Josephson,Wolfgang Pauli,Tsian X.S,Henry Stapp…and a lot others…known as the Nobel disease…

Last edited:
We don’t discuss parapsychology here as it tends to derail into non scientific mumbo jumbo and anecdotal fringe evidence.

Closing this thread

Likes BillTre, russ_watters, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person

1. What is parapsychology?

Parapsychology is a scientific field that studies phenomena that cannot be explained by traditional scientific methods, such as telepathy, clairvoyance, and psychokinesis.

2. Is parapsychology considered a legitimate science?

While parapsychology is not recognized as a mainstream science, it is a legitimate field of study that follows scientific principles and methods. However, many scientists remain skeptical of its claims due to the lack of reproducible evidence.

3. Can parapsychological phenomena be proven?

There is currently no concrete evidence that supports the existence of parapsychological phenomena. However, some studies have shown statistically significant results that suggest the possibility of these phenomena. More research is needed to determine the validity of these claims.

4. What is the difference between parapsychology and pseudoscience?

The main difference between parapsychology and pseudoscience is that parapsychology follows scientific principles and methods, while pseudoscience does not. Parapsychology seeks to explain phenomena through empirical evidence and rigorous experimentation, while pseudoscience relies on anecdotal evidence and lacks scientific credibility.

5. Can anyone possess psychic abilities?

There is no scientific evidence that suggests that anyone possesses psychic abilities. However, some people may have a natural inclination towards certain skills, such as intuition or empathy, which can be mistaken for psychic abilities. It is important to approach claims of psychic abilities with skepticism and critical thinking.