Is Reactance the Magnitude of Impedance or Its Complex Part?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JesseC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reactance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
JesseC
Messages
247
Reaction score
2
My notes say reactance is the magnitude of impedance, so I assume it means this:

[tex]|Z| = \sqrt{X^2 + Y^2}[/tex]

but this is contradicted by numerous internet sources I've read which say that it is the magnitude of the complex part of impedance [tex]|Y|[/tex] . Could someone clarify this?

I'm more inclined to trust the internet given my lecturer is an Astronomer :P
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
JesseC said:
My notes say reactance is the magnitude of impedance, so I assume it means this:

[tex]|Z| = \sqrt{X^2 + Y^2}[/tex]

but this is contradicted by numerous internet sources I've read which say that it is the magnitude of the complex part of impedance [tex]|Y|[/tex] . Could someone clarify this?

I'm more inclined to trust the internet given my lecturer is an Astronomer :P

The following is the correct form. R is resistance, & X is reactance. BTW, "Y" is admittance, the reciprocal of impedance. Did I help?

[tex]|Z| = \sqrt{R^2 + X^2}[/tex]

Claude
 
Last edited:
Yeah sorry, I've used confusing notation such that Z being a complex number was of the form Z = X+Yj. So the real part X is resistance, and the imaginary part Y is reactance. Clearly modulus of Z is something else altogether, what would its use be?

I have another question while I'm here: Is the phase of a perfect inductor or capacitor always +π/2 or -π/2?

Given that (using your notation) phase is arctan(X/R) and for a capacitor or inductor R = 0, then ±π/2 = arctan(±∞). I never trust myself when it comes to things involving circuits.