Inductor Impedance vs Inductive Reactance: Clarification Needed

In summary, the terms inductive reactance and inductor impedance are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. Inductive reactance is defined as 2pi*fL, while inductor impedance is defined as the square root of the sum of the resistance squared and the inductive reactance squared. In practical inductors, there will also be some resistance in the windings, which must be taken into account for accurate calculations. The relationship between voltage and current for inductors and capacitors is known as reactance, while resistance is the relationship for resistors. A combination of reactance and resistance is known as impedance.
yardy_genius
Hello, i just want to clarify, is there a difference between the inductor impedance or inductive reactance XL.

inductive reactance XL = 2pi*fL
is this the same for inductor impedance?

i see on an example where they ask you to calculate the reactance in a series RL circuit. V= 100, f= 50Hz, R= 12 and L = 0.1H.

They ask to calculate calculate the reactance and impedance of the coil.
XL = 2pi*fL and impedance (Z) = sqrt(R^2+ XL^2) that's what they use to solve it.

when i check online for inpedance calculator http://www.pronine.ca/indimp.htm they use the inductive reactance formula to calaulate Z.

am a bit confused here, can someone please clarify some of this. I haven't done the lectures for this yet. thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The relationship V/I for an inductor and a capacitor is called REACTANCE. It is measured in ohms. The relationship V/I for a resistance is called RESISTANCE...measured in ohms.
A combination of REACTANCE and RESISTANCE is known as IMPEDANCE...measured in ohms.
The reason for these terms is to identify that V and I are out of phase by 90 for inductance and capacitance whereas V and I are in phase for resistance.
Hope this helps

A combination of REACTANCE and RESISTANCE is known as IMPEDANCE...measured in ohms.

i would only add that a PRACTICAL inductor will have some resistance in its windings.

That resistance does not appear in your 2∏fL and must be added to it if you require that accuracy.. which you will in yor coursework.

1. What is the difference between inductor impedance and inductive reactance?

Inductor impedance is the total opposition to current flow in an inductor, taking into account both the resistance and reactance of the inductor. Inductive reactance, on the other hand, is the opposition to current flow due to the inductive component of the inductor's impedance.

2. How are inductor impedance and inductive reactance calculated?

Inductor impedance is calculated by adding the resistance and reactance of the inductor, while inductive reactance is calculated using the formula XL = 2πfL, where f is the frequency of the current and L is the inductance of the inductor.

3. What factors affect the impedance and reactance of an inductor?

The impedance of an inductor is affected by its resistance, inductance, and frequency of the current passing through it. The reactance of an inductor is affected by its inductance and the frequency of the current.

4. How does inductor impedance affect circuit performance?

Inductor impedance can affect circuit performance by limiting the flow of current, causing voltage drops and changes in the phase of the current. It can also affect the resonant frequency of the circuit.

5. What is the relationship between inductor impedance and inductive reactance?

Inductive reactance is a component of inductor impedance. In other words, inductance reactance is one of the factors that make up the total opposition to current flow in an inductor. As the inductance or frequency changes, both the impedance and reactance of the inductor will also change.