Is speaking in tongues falsifiable?

• Thread starter jackle
  • Start date
In summary, the phenomenon of speaking in tongues can be easily disproven by using modern technology.
jackle
Hi,

There are a lot of religious practitioners who believe they can speak in other languages without learning them. The drawback is that they are also unable to understand what they are saying. I can identify some initial barriers to disproving this as follows:

1) Different beliefs are involved, so disproving one instance doesn't disprove the whole thing
2) Some practitioners believe they might sometimes speak in languages of angels and we can't know what these languages are.
3) There are a lot of extinct languages that have been lost forever.

Now let us make some assumptions to give ourselves a chance. Let us focus on one specific utterance by a believer who excludes angelic languages and extinct ones as a part of their faith. We are now dealing with falsifying one utterance of an active human language.

Here is my question:

With modern technology, phonetics, language databases and experienced scientists, can the idea that an individual utterance is of an active human language be falsified? Or, with the Ethnolog organisation recognising 6809 languages, is this simply beyond our current technology to falsify speaking in tongues?

Thanks

Jackle

Physics news on Phys.org
Before proceeding, it would be important actually point out some specific examples where somebody is speaking in a language that he or she should not be able to speak naturally. Without examples this phenomena remains a myth that lives only in stories.

Personally I have seen only one instance, where somebody has "spoken in tongues". He was a local religious extremist here in Finland, and basically he was talking Latin with typical Finnish accent, so it didn't seem very miraculous to me. Obviously he had merely practiced talking those some sentences that he did talk. Perhaps it seemed more miraculous to those who were in the right mood?

jostpuur said:
Before proceeding, it would be important actually point out some specific examples where somebody is speaking in a language that he or she should not be able to speak naturally.

I think that to proceed in this direction properly, we would need to prove that a given tongue speaker had not learned their "language" by natural means. I don't think this can easily be done, I mean could you prove to me that you had not learned to speak Chinese by taking lessons? To be a fair test, I would want to be able to tell the difference between any genuine tonuge speaker and a hoax.

I was wondering if the technological approach would actually yield a definite answer (or perhaps one day?). I heard that there is a measurable difference in brain activity between someone speaking in tongues and someone speaking a learned language. So alongside this, my interest was in a technological ability to falsify/confirm an utterance being in an active human language.

People can post their stories if they like tho'.

Jackle

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look

Seeking's post surprised me. It seems there is at least two completely different phenomena, that are both confused as the speaking in tongues.

jostpuur said:
...It seems there is at least two completely different phenomena, that are both confused as the speaking in tongues.

What are they?

jackle said:
What are they?

Other one is the glossolalia where somebody speaks unintentionally, and other one is an event where somebody speaks very intentionally something strange, but other people around still consider it miraculous. The first one seems to be best explained by psychologists or biologists, but the second one needs only skepticism.

jostpuur said:
Other one is the glossolalia where somebody speaks unintentionally, and other one is an event where somebody speaks very intentionally something strange, but other people around still consider it miraculous. The first one seems to be best explained by psychologists or biologists, but the second one needs only skepticism.

And both, of course, differ quite radically from the biblical event in which a bunch of people all speaking different languages understood each other perfectly.

*That* sort of speaking in tongues would certainly meet the criteria of being falsifiable.

The other stuff...probably wouldn't.

Glossolalia is interesting. "Speaking in tongues" appears to be easily falsifiable as does a lot of other religious phenomenon.

Hi Jase,

I thought this thread had gone dead. How do you think tongues can be tested?

jostpuur said:
Other one is the glossolalia where somebody speaks unintentionally, and other one is an event where somebody speaks very intentionally something strange,

That is an assumption.

but other people around still consider it miraculous. The first one seems to be best explained by psychologists or biologists, but the second one needs only skepticism.

I am going to lock this thread and defer discussion to the one linked earlier. If you want to catch people who are lying, you need a lie detector.

When we have one that is reliable, let me know. This will answer many questions.

Last edited:

1. What is the scientific definition of speaking in tongues?

Speaking in tongues, also known as glossolalia, is a phenomenon in which individuals vocalize unintelligible speech-like sounds, often in a religious or spiritual context.

2. Is speaking in tongues considered a scientifically valid practice?

No, speaking in tongues is not considered a scientifically valid practice. It is not recognized as a natural or biological language by linguists and there is no empirical evidence to support its claims.

3. Can speaking in tongues be measured or observed in a scientific manner?

Yes, speaking in tongues can be observed and measured in a scientific manner. EEG studies have shown that brain activity during speaking in tongues is similar to that of normal speech, suggesting that it is a learned behavior rather than a divine gift.

4. Is there a way to prove or disprove the legitimacy of speaking in tongues?

There is currently no scientific method to prove or disprove the legitimacy of speaking in tongues. While some may argue that it is a spiritual experience that cannot be measured by science, others may believe that further research and evidence could potentially shed light on its origins and validity.

5. What are some alternative explanations for speaking in tongues?

Some alternative explanations for speaking in tongues include psychogenic explanations (such as a form of self-hypnosis or a coping mechanism for stress), cultural and societal influences, and mental health conditions such as schizophrenia. Some also argue that it is simply a learned behavior or a form of vocalization without any significant meaning.