Is Studying with Peers More Effective Than Asking the Teacher Questions?

• Studying
  • Thread starter land_of_ice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, students often choose to study with their peers rather than simply asking the teacher questions for a few reasons. Firstly, other students may have unique insights and perspectives on the material that can be helpful to their peers. Additionally, students may feel more comfortable asking questions outside of the classroom setting, where they may be hesitant to interrupt the teacher. Studying with others can also be a more efficient use of time, as it allows for extended discussions and exploration of related topics. Finally, there may also be a social aspect to studying with peers, as it can be a more enjoyable and engaging experience.
land_of_ice
Why do students study with other students rather than to just ask the teacher questions?
How is it helpful to study with other students , rather than to just direct question to the teachers, is this realistic?
In a class where the teacher is availible to answer questions, and offers to do so, why do you think some people never ask the teacher, but study in groups with each other before class, after class , on weekends etc, and never really talk to the teacher? Does anyone understand the line of reasoning?
The students who study with other students in class, and don't ask the teacher any questions are getting really good grades, by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
There was another thread not too long ago that asked about the benefit of studying in groups. Often, fellow students will have better insights on how to absorb the new material than a professor who sees the material as second nature.

Also, people feel more comfortable asking a "stupid" question outside of class rather than interrupt a lecture and poosibly look foolish.

But mainly, studying with one or more people is an effecient way to get more studying time in, as described in the previous thread (which I don't have a link to since I'm posting from my phone at work.)

There's also a social aspect to it. Sometimes it can be fun to hang out and study with other people. Sometimes you can invite that special someone on a study date.

There's also a time factor. Professors have limited time to dedicate to students. Sometimes you want to discuss a subject, or related subjects for extended periods of time. Some of the best learning comes from asking "what if" type questions and with a group of peers you often have the opportunity to do that for extended periods of time.

Related to Is Studying with Peers More Effective Than Asking the Teacher Questions?

1. What are the most effective studying techniques?

There are many effective studying techniques, but a few of the most commonly recommended ones include creating a study schedule, using flashcards to quiz yourself, practicing active learning by summarizing and explaining concepts, and taking breaks every 45-50 minutes to avoid burnout.

2. How can I improve my memory for studying?

Some tips for improving memory for studying include using mnemonic devices, creating visual aids or diagrams, and getting enough sleep before studying. Additionally, regularly reviewing material and linking new information to previously learned concepts can also help improve memory retention.

3. Should I study for long periods of time or in short bursts?

It is generally recommended to study in shorter bursts rather than cramming for long periods of time. This is because our brains are better at retaining information when it is learned in smaller, more frequent sessions. However, the most effective study schedule will vary for each individual, so it's important to find what works best for you.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying?

One way to stay motivated while studying is to set specific goals and rewards for yourself. For example, you could aim to finish a certain number of practice problems and then treat yourself to a short break or snack. It can also be helpful to study with a friend or join a study group to keep each other motivated and accountable.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to understand a concept while studying?

If you are struggling to understand a concept while studying, try breaking it down into smaller parts and focusing on one at a time. You can also try explaining the concept to someone else or seeking help from a tutor or teacher. It can also be helpful to take a break and come back to the concept later with a fresh perspective.