Is that subset of the set of continuous differential functions closed?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
approx1mate
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi! I have used the physics forum a lot of times to deal with several tasks that I had and now its the time to introduce my own query! So please bear with me :-)

Homework Statement


Equip the set [itex]C^1_{[0,1]}[/itex] with the inner product:
[tex] \left\langle f,g \right\rangle= \int_{0}^{1} f(x)\bar{g(x)} + \int_{0}^{1} f'(x)\bar{g'(x)}dx[/tex]
(the bar above the [itex]g[/itex] function is the conjugate symbol)
I need to show that the subspace:

[tex] W = \{f\in C^1_{[0,1]} | f(1)=0\}[/tex]

is a closed subspace of [itex]C^1_{[0,1]}[/itex].

Homework Equations



[itex]\left\langle f,cosh \right\rangle = f(1)sinh(1)[/itex].

The Cauchy inequality: [itex]|\left\langle f,g \right\rangle | \le \|f\|\|g\|[/itex],
the Pythagoras theorem: [itex]\|f+g\|^2 = \|f\|^2 + \|g\|^2[/itex],
the parallelogram law: [itex]\|f+g\|^2 + \|f-g\|^2 = 2(\|f\|^2 + \|g\|^2)[/itex],
the triangular inequality: [itex]\|f+g\| \le \|f\| + \|g\|[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Let us take a Cauchy sequence [itex]\{f^n\}_{n=1}^{\infty} \in W[/itex], because
[itex](C^1_{[0,1]},\|\cdot \|)[/itex] is a Hilbert space then the sequence [itex]\{f^n\}_{n=1}^{\infty}[/itex] converges to [itex]f\in C^1_{[0,1]}[/itex].
Therefore it only remains to be shown that at the limit [itex]f(1)=0[/itex].

At this point I am stuck. I can see that the [itex]cosh[/itex] function is orthogonal
to the set [itex]W[/itex] and I also tried to use the above "relevant equations" but
I couldn't see what would be a possible proof.

Any advice?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
approx1mate said:
Hi! I have used the physics forum a lot of times to deal with several tasks that I had and now its the time to introduce my own query! So please bear with me :-)

Homework Statement


Equip the set [itex]C^1_{[0,1]}[/itex] with the inner product:
[tex] \left\langle f,g \right\rangle= \int_{0}^{1} f(x)\bar{g(x)} + \int_{0}^{1} f'(x)\bar{g'(x)}dx[/tex]
(the bar above the [itex]g[/itex] function is the conjugate symbol)
I need to show that the subspace:

[tex] W = \{f\in C^1_{[0,1]} | f(1)=0\}[/tex]

is a closed subspace of [itex]C^1_{[0,1]}[/itex].

Homework Equations



[itex]\left\langle f,cosh \right\rangle = f(1)sinh(1)[/itex].

The Cauchy inequality: [itex]|\left\langle f,g \right\rangle | \le \|f\|\|g\|[/itex],
the Pythagoras theorem: [itex]\|f+g\|^2 = \|f\|^2 + \|g\|^2[/itex],
the parallelogram law: [itex]\|f+g\|^2 + \|f-g\|^2 = 2(\|f\|^2 + \|g\|^2)[/itex],
the triangular inequality: [itex]\|f+g\| \le \|f\| + \|g\|[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Let us take a Cauchy sequence [itex]\{f^n\}_{n=1}^{\infty} \in W[/itex], because
[itex](C^1_{[0,1]},\|\cdot \|)[/itex] is a Hilbert space then the sequence [itex]\{f^n\}_{n=1}^{\infty}[/itex] converges to [itex]f\in C^1_{[0,1]}[/itex].
Therefore it only remains to be shown that at the limit [itex]f(1)=0[/itex].

At this point I am stuck. I can see that the [itex]cosh[/itex] function is orthogonal
to the set [itex]W[/itex] and I also tried to use the above "relevant equations" but
I couldn't see what would be a possible proof.

Any advice?

First of all, I very much doubt that your space is a Hilbert space. It has an inner-product, but are you sure it is complete. Did you prove it??

Anyway, you don't really need it for the proof. For the proof you must take a convergent sequence [itex](f_n)_n[/itex] in W. So you know that [itex]f_n(1)=0[/itex] for all n. You must prove that the limit f also has f(1)=0.

You must not prove that [itex](f_n)_n[/itex] is Cauchy and you must not prove that it converges. You know convergence from the hypothesis.
 
micromass said:
First of all, I very much doubt that your space is a Hilbert space. It has an inner-product, but are you sure it is complete. Did you prove it??
You are right, I was wrong about that.

micromass said:
Anyway, you don't really need it for the proof. For the proof you must take a convergent sequence [itex](f_n)_n[/itex] in W. So you know that [itex]f_n(1)=0[/itex] for all n. You must prove that the limit f also has f(1)=0.

Ok, that was my thought from the very beginning. But if I need just the [itex]f(1)=0[/itex], then how do I know that the limit [itex]f[/itex] is also a continuous differentiable function? Don't I need that as well?
 
approx1mate said:
You are right, I was wrong about that.



Ok, that was my thought from the very beginning. But if I need just the [itex]f_n(1)=0[/itex], then how do I know that the limit [itex]f[/itex] is also a continuous differentiable function? Don't I need that as well?

No, you have that.

So what you have is that a sequence [itex](f_n)_n[/itex] in W converges to a function [itex]f\in C^1_{[0,1]}[/itex]. You must show f to be in W.
 
micromass said:
No, you have that.

So what you have is that a sequence [itex](f_n)_n[/itex] in W converges to a function [itex]f\in C^1_{[0,1]}[/itex]. You must show f to be in W.

Oh yes, I am sorry, all that time I didn't pay any attention to the definition of W.
Thanks
 
I think that the solution is:

[itex]|\left\langle f^n-f,cosh \right\rangle| \le \|f^n-f\|\|cosh\|[/itex]

But [itex]\forall \epsilon \ \ \exists n_o(\epsilon)[/itex] such that for any
[itex]n \ge n_0(\epsilon)[/itex] we have that:

[itex]|\left\langle f^n-f,cosh \right\rangle| \le \epsilon \|cosh\|[/itex]

Therefore [itex]\left\langle f^n-f,cosh \right\rangle \to 0 \Leftrightarrow[/itex] [itex]\left\langle f^n,cosh \right\rangle - \left\langle f,cosh \right\rangle \to 0 \Leftrightarrow[/itex]

[itex]f(1)sinh(1) \to 0 \Leftrightarrow f(1)\to 0[/itex]
 
Last edited:
Looks ok. However in the last line, you don't want =0 but rather [itex]\rightarrow 0[/itex].

So you got

[tex]<f^n-f,cosh>\rightarrow 0[/tex]

for example.
 
micromass said:
Looks ok. However in the last line, you don't want =0 but rather [itex]\rightarrow 0[/itex].

So you got

[tex]<f^n-f,cosh>\rightarrow 0[/tex]

for example.

Yes you are right again, thanks!