1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is that subset of the set of continuous differential functions closed?

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    Hi! I have used the physics forum a lot of times to deal with several tasks that I had and now its the time to introduce my own query! So please bear with me :-)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Equip the set [itex] C^1_{[0,1]} [/itex] with the inner product:
    [tex]
    \left\langle f,g \right\rangle= \int_{0}^{1} f(x)\bar{g(x)} + \int_{0}^{1} f'(x)\bar{g'(x)}dx
    [/tex]
    (the bar above the [itex] g [/itex] function is the conjugate symbol)
    I need to show that the subspace:

[tex]
    W = \{f\in C^1_{[0,1]} | f(1)=0\}
    [/tex]

is a closed subspace of [itex] C^1_{[0,1]} [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

[itex] \left\langle f,cosh \right\rangle = f(1)sinh(1) [/itex].

The Cauchy inequality: [itex] |\left\langle f,g \right\rangle | \le \|f\|\|g\|[/itex],
    the Pythagoras theorem: [itex] \|f+g\|^2 = \|f\|^2 + \|g\|^2 [/itex],
    the parallelogram law: [itex] \|f+g\|^2 + \|f-g\|^2 = 2(\|f\|^2 + \|g\|^2)[/itex],
    the triangular inequality: [itex] \|f+g\| \le \|f\| + \|g\|[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Let us take a Cauchy sequence [itex] \{f^n\}_{n=1}^{\infty} \in W[/itex], because
    [itex](C^1_{[0,1]},\|\cdot \|)[/itex] is a Hilbert space then the sequence [itex] \{f^n\}_{n=1}^{\infty} [/itex] converges to [itex] f\in C^1_{[0,1]} [/itex].
    Therefore it only remains to be shown that at the limit [itex] f(1)=0 [/itex].

At this point I am stuck. I can see that the [itex] cosh [/itex] function is orthogonal
    to the set [itex] W [/itex] and I also tried to use the above "relevant equations" but
    I couldn't see what would be a possible proof.

Any advice?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

First of all, I very much doubt that your space is a Hilbert space. It has an inner-product, but are you sure it is complete. Did you prove it??

Anyway, you don't really need it for the proof. For the proof you must take a convergent sequence [itex](f_n)_n[/itex] in W. So you know that [itex]f_n(1)=0[/itex] for all n. You must prove that the limit f also has f(1)=0.

You must not prove that [itex](f_n)_n[/itex] is Cauchy and you must not prove that it converges. You know convergence from the hypothesis.

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3
    You are right, I was wrong about that.

Ok, that was my thought from the very beginning. But if I need just the [itex]f(1)=0[/itex], then how do I know that the limit [itex] f [/itex] is also a continuous differentiable function? Don't I need that as well?

5. Oct 20, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, you have that.

So what you have is that a sequence [itex](f_n)_n[/itex] in W converges to a function [itex]f\in C^1_{[0,1]}[/itex]. You must show f to be in W.

6. Oct 20, 2011 #5
    Oh yes, I am sorry, all that time I didn't pay any attention to the definition of W.
    Thanks

7. Oct 20, 2011 #6
    I think that the solution is:

[itex] |\left\langle f^n-f,cosh \right\rangle| \le \|f^n-f\|\|cosh\| [/itex]

But [itex] \forall \epsilon \ \ \exists n_o(\epsilon) [/itex] such that for any
    [itex] n \ge n_0(\epsilon) [/itex] we have that:

[itex] |\left\langle f^n-f,cosh \right\rangle| \le \epsilon \|cosh\| [/itex]

Therefore [itex] \left\langle f^n-f,cosh \right\rangle \to 0 \Leftrightarrow [/itex] [itex] \left\langle f^n,cosh \right\rangle - \left\langle f,cosh \right\rangle \to 0 \Leftrightarrow [/itex]

[itex] f(1)sinh(1) \to 0 \Leftrightarrow f(1)\to 0 [/itex]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  8. Oct 20, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Looks ok. However in the last line, you don't want =0 but rather [itex]\rightarrow 0[/itex].

So you got

[tex]<f^n-f,cosh>\rightarrow 0[/tex]

for example.

9. Oct 20, 2011 #8
    Yes you are right again, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook