Is the 3rd Edition of Art of Electronics Worth Upgrading From the 2nd?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
DrPapper
Messages
48
Reaction score
9
Has anyone seen the newest edition? Is it much better than the 2nd? I own the 2nd but am interested in the newer one if it's better.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a different book. First four chapters are more or less the same. Then it... forks.
You can download the index and a sample chapter (chapter 9) from the publisher's website - and if you look on the web you will find a dropbox account with the same file and the blessing of Winfield Hill.
Confront the new chapter 9 with the old chapter 6 and you'll get an idea of how much it has changed.

I have the second edition, and I will not get rid of it now that I have the third.

P.S.
If you can, wait for the first reprint to have these http://artofelectronics.net/errata/ fixed.
(and maybe they will call kelvins just "kelvins" and not "degrees kelvin")
 
Last edited:
one thing about the new edition is that it doesn't show examples of bad circuits I'm also keeping my second edition for not only that reason but because I now have the student manual for it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrPapper and berkeman
Is it available?

What a shame! I bought the second edition earlier this year.

*****after checking amazon******

Wow, Rs. 8659. Must be imported edition. But can't they make it cheaper. Rs. 8659 is too high for students like me, to afford. That's practically a salary for teachers in some institutions.
 
SredniVashtar said:
It's a different book. First four chapters are more or less the same. Then it... forks.
You can download the index and a sample chapter (chapter 9) from the publisher's website - and if you look on the web you will find a dropbox account with the same file and the blessing of Winfield Hill.
Confront the new chapter 9 with the old chapter 6 and you'll get an idea of how much it has changed.

I have the second edition, and I will not get rid of it now that I have the third.

P.S.
If you can, wait for the first reprint to have these http://artofelectronics.net/errata/ fixed.
(and maybe they will call kelvins just "kelvins" and not "degrees kelvin")
How much calculus is required for understanding the book? Does it require skills past calculus 1? Are there any other prerequisites for understanding this book?
 
not sure if there are any diff eq in the book, calc 1 should be all you need. how do I know this o0) ?
 
thankz said:
not sure if there are any diff eq in the book, calc 1 should be all you need. how do I know this o0) ?
Thank you thankz