Is the Axiom of Choice Necessary to Well-Order Finite Sets?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a well ordering for finite sets, with the suggestion of using induction on the cardinality of the set and defining an ordering on k+1. It is mentioned that every total order on a finite set is a well-ordering.
Csharp
Hi,

I want to show that there exists a well ordering for every finite set.

(I know if you add axiom of choice you can prove this theorem for infinite sets too but I think the finite sets do not need axiom of choice to become well ordered)

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried using induction on the cardinality of the set?

Good idea.

Suppose that k is well ordered.

k+1= k U {k}

First of all I'll define an ordering on k+1.
If s and t are both in k then I use the ordering from k.
If one of s and t is k then k>s.

Suppose that S is a nonempty subset of k+1.
Then if it doesn't contain k it has a lowest member.
If it contains k then S-{k} has a lowest member which is also lower than k itself.

Csharp said:
I want to show that there exists a well ordering for every finite set.
Every total order on a finite set is a well-ordering.

Hello,

You are correct, the axiom of choice is not necessary to prove the existence of a well ordering for finite sets. In fact, the well ordering principle is one of the fundamental axioms of set theory, and it guarantees the existence of a well ordering for any set, finite or infinite.

To prove the existence of a well ordering for finite sets, we can use mathematical induction. First, we show that the empty set is well ordered by default. Then, we assume that any set with n elements is well ordered, and we show that any set with n+1 elements is also well ordered. This can be done by constructing a well ordering for the set with n+1 elements from the well ordering of the set with n elements.

Therefore, we can conclude that every finite set has a well ordering, without needing to invoke the axiom of choice. However, as you mentioned, for infinite sets, the axiom of choice is needed to guarantee the existence of a well ordering.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of well ordering for finite sets. Thank you for your question.

Related to Is the Axiom of Choice Necessary to Well-Order Finite Sets?

1. What is the well-ordering principle?

The well-ordering principle states that every non-empty set of positive integers has a least element. This means that there is always a first element in any set of positive integers.

2. How does the well-ordering principle relate to finite sets?

The well-ordering principle is particularly useful for proving properties about finite sets, since every finite set of positive integers can be well-ordered and therefore has a least element.

3. What is the significance of well-ordering in mathematics?

The well-ordering principle is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in many areas of the subject, including number theory, set theory, and analysis. It allows for the creation of rigorous proofs and is essential for understanding the structure and properties of finite sets.

4. Can the well-ordering principle be extended to infinite sets?

No, the well-ordering principle only applies to finite sets. This is because infinite sets cannot always be well-ordered, as demonstrated by the set of all real numbers which does not have a least element.

5. How is the well-ordering principle different from the axiom of choice?

The well-ordering principle is a specific instance of the axiom of choice, which states that given any collection of non-empty sets, it is possible to choose one element from each set. The well-ordering principle is a more specific application of this axiom and only applies to finite sets of positive integers.