Is the Blade Loading Sufficient for Minimum Sliding Resistance at Top Speed?

Colin Wilson
I'm building a model as shown below (side, front, back). In order to measure its air resistance I will be mounting it on temporary ice blades (Green) and driving it down a long skating rink. The model has a pressure sensor incorporated into the motor / propeller assembly and a GPS unit to measure velocity, a microcontroller collects the data (pressure / velocity) and writes it to an SD card. As it sits the blade loading would be as follows:
  • (3) SS blades = 30cm long * 1mm thick
  • Top speed 90kph (82fps)
  • Loading 2kg per blade = 0.67kg / cm2
My question: Is the blade loading high enough given the top speed to ensure minimum sliding resistance? I can add more weight to the model or I can reduce the blade lengths.
DB Slim Test Sled Side.jpg
DB Slim Body Front.jpg
DB Slim Test Sled Back.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I searched ice skate friction, and found myself traveling down a rabbit hole of interesting information. But I did not find an answer to your question. You apparently already understand that pressure between the skate blades and the ice is a key variable, as is also the ice temperature.

I suggest that you treat the blade loading as an experimental variable, and run a series of experiments to optimize it.

Likes Colin Wilson
Thank you for your input.
In any case woke up this morning and decided to put pressure sensors on each blade and subtract those readings from the motor reading so problem solved!

1. Is the blade loading sufficient for minimum sliding resistance at top speed?

Yes, the blade loading is designed to provide enough pressure on the ice to minimize sliding resistance at top speed. This helps the skater maintain control and stability while moving quickly.

2. How is blade loading determined?

Blade loading is determined by factors such as the skater's weight, skating style, and the design of the skate blade. By adjusting these factors, the optimal blade loading can be achieved for minimum sliding resistance at top speed.

3. What happens if the blade loading is too low?

If the blade loading is too low, the skater may experience increased sliding resistance at top speed, leading to reduced control and stability. This can also cause the skater to expend more energy while skating.

4. Can blade loading be adjusted?

Yes, blade loading can be adjusted by changing the blade profile, sharpening angle, or adding additional weight to the skates. Skaters may work with a coach or technician to find the optimal blade loading for their individual needs.

5. How does blade loading affect performance?

Blade loading plays a crucial role in a skater's performance by influencing their ability to maintain speed, control, and stability. By ensuring sufficient blade loading for minimum sliding resistance at top speed, skaters can optimize their performance on the ice.