Is the equation [itex]x+y+z=0[/itex] the xyz-plane ?(i.e.

• Thread starter Ted123
  • Start date
In summary, the equation x+y+z=0 is not the xyz-plane, as it is a two-dimensional equation in three variables. The xyz-plane, also known as the Cartesian plane, is defined as a two-dimensional coordinate system with three perpendicular axes. It cannot be represented by a single equation and is important in mathematics for graphing and analyzing equations in three-dimensional space. The concept of the xyz-plane can also be extended to higher dimensions by adding additional axes.
Ted123
Is the equation [itex]x+y+z=0[/itex] the xyz-plane?(i.e.

Is the equation [itex]x+y+z=0[/itex] the xyz-plane?

(i.e. points that are multiples of [itex](1,1,1)[/itex])

Physics news on Phys.org

Ted123 said:
(i.e. points that are multiples of [itex](1,1,1)[/itex])

This is the description of a line, not a plane. What are the parametric equations that describe this line?

(In any case, you can easily check your work by plugging in (1,1,1) into your equation)

1. Is the equation [itex]x+y+z=0[/itex] the xyz-plane?

No, the equation [itex]x+y+z=0[/itex] is not the xyz-plane. It is a two-dimensional equation in three variables and represents a plane in three-dimensional space.

2. How is the xyz-plane defined?

The xyz-plane, also known as the Cartesian plane, is a two-dimensional coordinate system in which a point is located by its distance from three perpendicular axes: the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis.

3. Can the xyz-plane be represented by a single equation?

No, the xyz-plane cannot be represented by a single equation. It is a two-dimensional space and therefore requires two variables to define a point on the plane.

4. What is the importance of the xyz-plane in mathematics?

The xyz-plane is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used to graph and analyze equations in three-dimensional space. It also serves as the basis for many geometric and algebraic principles.

5. Can the xyz-plane be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of the xyz-plane can be extended to higher dimensions, such as four-dimensional space. In this case, additional axes (w-axis, for example) would be added to the coordinate system to represent the extra dimension.