Is the Integral of (sinx)/(1+cos^2(x)) convergent or divergent?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
tbone413
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


State whether the problem is convergent or divergent and if its convergent solve the integral. Integral from 0 to inf of (sinx)/(1+cos^2(x))dx


Homework Equations


there isn't really an equation for this, I don't think.


The Attempt at a Solution



Im not really sure how to even start this problem. I know it converges, and I know the answer is pi/4 (the book has the answer) but I am stuck on how to figure out that it A) converges and B) how to solve it.

*I know there are several tests you can use to test for convergence (ratio test, p test, etc.) but I am not sure which one applies here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't converge. Find the antiderivative, use u=cos(x). Evaluate it between 0 and L and then let L->infinity. Does it approach a limit?