Is the Military a viable alternative to Containment?

• News
  • Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Military
In summary, the conversation discusses a program in which a person who has been convicted of a crime can choose to go to the military instead of prison. The advantages and disadvantages of this program are discussed. The story of a man who chose this route is also included.
Smurf
It's not unheard of (paticularly for youths) for a convicted person to be given the alternative to join the military as opposed to prison. Do you believe everyone (most) should be given this opportunity? what would be the advantages/disadvantages of it being sentenced? (as in; forced upon, not an option).

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of that, can you show that this is actually true?

would that be an extreme version of community service or something?

I think I have heard of this before, but I would like an example or two to be clear :smile:

This has certainly been done. The British Navy, at least during the Napoleonic wars, got drafts of prisoners (then again this was also the era of press gangs)—but whether the practice described above has been used in recent years, I'm not sure.

I don't like this as a viable alternative. I would personally have NO problem going to the military instead of prison. It would be welcomed, and thus not a punishment at all.

wasteofo2 said:
I've never heard of that, can you show that this is actually true?
The navigator on my ship was one such person (though I'm not so sure it was jail that he was facing - maybe just expulsion from school).

He's short and black (and when he was a kid, skinny) and grew up in East L.A. Being short and skinny, he got picked on a lot at school and he would defend himself by setting people on fire. He got in trouble for something about a gang fight and a gun in his car, but I can't remember the specifics. Recognizing that he was highly intelligent, his school guidance counselor pushed him to go into the Navy. He got into OCS, the Navy put him through college, he became an officer, and married a hot, rich lawyer.

He was one of the better officers on my ship. Most of his high school friends are drug dealers. Yes, I'm in favor of such programs given the right candidate.

When I was in the Army, used to sing a cadence that went 'Go to war or go to jail.' I think they were referring to was the choice between reporting for the draft or being put into prison for failing to appear.

Still, I did meet some senior noncomms while I was in that had been presented with that choice. The story generally went something along the lines of this: They had already received a draft notice (for Vietnam) when they got picked up for a crime (stealing a crime, for example.) The DoD, through the recruiter, would present the young man with a couple of options, those being: 1) Go to prison and serve the time, after which you'll probably still be drafted. :devil: -or- 2) Agree to report for the draft, serve honorably for x years, and all will be forgiven.

I believe most judges would be inclined to go along with such an arrangement, so long as the crime wasn't too serious.

yes the service options was more common in the past
for minor crimes ONLY
but after the end of the draft and higher standerds now
I don't think it is as common as in the 60's

So what do you people think about military <-> rehabilitation ? Does the military promote convicts to become "better persons" or is it just a way of serving time. I lack adequate experience to answer this properly ... it can of course go both ways, overall I'd see that at least during peacetime the effects might in general be positive. But again, I'm not quite sure about the atmosphere of military nowadays.

What is containment and how does it relate to the military?

Containment is a foreign policy strategy that was implemented by the United States during the Cold War. It aimed to prevent the spread of communism by using diplomatic, economic, and military means. The military was often used as a tool to enforce containment measures, such as stationing troops in strategic locations and providing military aid to at-risk countries.

What are the benefits of using the military as a tool for containment?

The military has the ability to project power and influence globally, making it an effective tool for enforcing containment measures. Additionally, the military has advanced technology and training, which can be crucial in deterring potential threats and maintaining stability in volatile regions. The military also has the capacity to provide humanitarian aid and disaster relief, which can help build positive relationships with countries and promote stability.

What are the drawbacks of relying on the military for containment?

The use of the military as a tool for containment can be costly, both financially and in terms of human lives. It can also lead to strained relationships with other countries, as the use of military force can be seen as aggressive or interventionist. There is also the risk of unintended consequences, such as civilian casualties and backlash from the targeted country or region.

Are there alternative methods for containment besides the military?

Yes, there are alternative methods for containment that do not involve the use of the military. Diplomatic efforts, economic sanctions, and international cooperation are often used as alternatives to military intervention. These methods can be effective in achieving containment goals without the potential negative consequences of military action.

How effective has the use of the military been in containing threats?

The effectiveness of using the military for containment is debatable and depends on various factors, such as the specific threat, the approach taken, and the desired outcome. In some cases, military intervention has been successful in containing threats, such as the Cuban Missile Crisis. However, it has also resulted in prolonged conflicts, such as the Vietnam War. Ultimately, the effectiveness of the military as a tool for containment depends on the specific circumstances and the strategy used.