Is the Quotient Rule Necessary for Finding the Derivative of a Fraction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 40K views
Ry122
Messages
563
Reaction score
2
Hi
Im trying to find the derivative of y=9/x+5
I tried using the quotient rule and
and the derivative of (x+5)^-1*9 but both methods don't work.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you would show us some work, someone could point out the problem you are having.
 
Ry122 said:
Hi
Im trying to find the derivative of y=9/x+5
I tried using the quotient rule and
and the derivative of (x+5)^-1*9 but both methods don't work.

Do you mean y=(9/x)+5 or y=9/(x+5)? From your post, I presume the latter.

As d_leet said, show us your work and we'll guide you.
 
Last edited:
its ok i found what i was doing wrong. I made a mistake with the quotient rule. i had u'v+v'u instead of u'v-v'u
 
By the way, I'm curious as to why you are using the quotient rule, unless it was a requirement for this problem. Normally the quotient rule is used in the following situation:

[tex]y = \frac{g(x)}{h(x)}[/tex]

In your case, g(x) is a constant and y' can be found directly. Let me ask this. How would you find y' if y = 1/x?

As a side note, I never use the quotient rule, because I can never remember how it works. I always use the product rule:

[tex]y = g(x)h(x)^{-1}[/tex]