Is the set of all continuous functions on the interval [0,1] a vector space?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 13K views
Ok, I can't tell if you can see why the sum of two symmetic matrices is itself symmetric, or if you can see that it is so but can't think of a formal or acceptable way to prove it. Consider this then:

A matrix A is symmetric if for all its entries [itex]a_{ij}=a_{ji}[/itex] Suppose there's another symmetric matrix B with the same property.

The sum of the 2 matrices is C and a typical matrix entry of C is [itex]c_{ij} = a_{ij} + b_{ij}[/itex]. Now can you show if [itex]c_{ij} = c_{ji}[/itex]?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Defennder said:
Ok, I can't tell if you can see why the sum of two symmetic matrices is itself symmetric, or if you can see that it is so but can't think of a formal or acceptable way to prove it. Consider this then:

A matrix A is symmetric if for all its entries [itex]a_{ij}=a_{ji}[/itex] Suppose there's another symmetric matrix B with the same property.

The sum of the 2 matrices is C and a typical matrix entry of C is [itex]c_{ij} = a_{ij} + b_{ij}[/itex]. Now can you show if [itex]c_{ij} = c_{ji}[/itex]?

How about this:
[itex]c_{ij} = a_{ij} + b_{ij}[/itex]



[itex]c_{ji} = a_{ji} + b_{ji}[/itex]

But since [itex]a_{ij}=a_{ji}[/itex] and [itex]b_{ij}=b_{ji}[/itex]

then [itex]c_{ij} = a_{ij} + b_{ij} =a_{ji} + b_{ji}=c_{ji}[/itex]


Does that work? I think it does if I got my indexes right:redface:
 
Yep that should do it. I don't know how formal you need that to be, though. I've never been a fan of mathematical formalism.
 
Hold on a second guys. I don't like to hijack what looks completed, but I am a little befuddled for part c. The polynomial 0 is not a polynomial of degree n, so how can we say a zero element exists? Furthermore it is not closed under addition, for example a=(x^2 + 1), b = -x^2... a+b is not a polynomial of degree 2. According to wikipedia, some sources choose to include the axioms of closure as additional vector space axioms.
 
Last edited:
Anyone else want to chime in? This is all new to me:rolleyes:

You can't just say that a+b is polynomial of degree n with zero coefficients?

But like I said, this is new to me. :smile:
 
Saladsamurai said:
Anyone else want to chime in? This is all new to me:rolleyes:

You can't just say that a+b is polynomial of degree n with zero coefficients?

But like I said, this is new to me. :smile:

nicksauce makes a good point. The question does say "degree EXACTLY n". The 'exactly' is likely there for a reason.
 
Okee-dokee. So since there is some polynomial of degree exactly n that when added to some other polynomial of exactly degree n does not YIELD a polynomial of exactly degree n, then the set of all polynomials of exactly degree n IS NOT a vector space.

So my coefficients of zero thing in post #36 is valid.
 
Right. You could also think of cases like p=x^2 and q=x^2-x, so p-q=x. Not a polynomial of degree EXACTLY two. If they had said polynomial of degree two or less, then it would be a vector space.