Is the Set of Polynomials of Degree ≤ 6 with a3 = 3 a Vector Space?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
kq6up
Messages
366
Reaction score
13

Homework Statement



For each of the following sets, either verify (as in Example 1) that it is a vector space, or show which requirements are not satisfied. If it is a vector space, find a basis and the dimension of the space.

6. Polynomials of degree ≤ 6 with a3 = 3.

Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I put that it was a vector space with the basis of {1,x,x^2,3*x^3,x^4,x^5,x^6} and dimension of 7. I am not sure why it fails to be a vector space.

Chris
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you add two members of the given set, or if you multiply a member by a scalar?
 
I think there is a closure problem because one would not be able to get rid of the 3*x^3 by playing with coefficients.

I will have to think about it a little more.

Chris
 
kq6up said:
I think there is a closure problem ##\ldots##
Definitely.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person