1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra, subspace of a vector space?

1. Mar 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) The set H of all polynomials p(x) = a+x^3, with a in R, is a subspace of the vector space P sub6 of all polynomials of degree at most 6. True or False?

2) The set H of all polynomials p(x) = a+bx^3, with a,b in R, is a subspace of the vector space P sub6 of all polynomials of degree at most 6. True or False?

2. Relevant equations

Eh.. not sure?

3. The attempt at a solution

Once more, not too sure. I've been pouring over my Linear Algebra book, but it seems so abstract... I was under the impression that as long as the polynomial didn't have a lower power than the vector space [number] that the polynomial would be in the subspace of the given vector space :\

Does the coefficient have anything to do with it?

Some properties (if they help?): A subspace of a vector space V is a subset H of V that has 3 properties:
    a) The zero vector if V is in H.
    b) H closed under vector addition
    3) H closed under scalar multiplication..

I've already gotten #1 wrong (the answer was false) - I'd like to know why though :(

Any help would be awesome!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider property (a). Can the zero vector (polynomial in this case) be written in the form ##p(x) = a + x^3##?

Also consider property (b). If I have two polynomials of the form ##a + x^3##, and add them together, is the result also of the form ##a + x^3##?

Finally, consider property (c). If I multiply a polynomial of the form ##a + x^3## by an arbitrary scalar, say ##2##, is the result of the form ##a + x^3##?

4. Mar 28, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What exactly were you pouring over your book? Coffee? Beer?? And why? :confused:

5. Mar 28, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, not a good idea - the pages will stick together. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted