Is the universe thermodynamically open or closed?

In summary, thermodynamics dictates that the universe must be closed, as it would be impossible for anything to exchange energy with it outside of the universe. However, this is not what we see, as there are still large scale motions present. This could be due to quantum effects in the early universe preventing an approach to equilibrium.
µ³
Googling reveals a bunch of information regarding to whether or not the universe is geometrically open or closed, but not thermodynmaically. Is it the same thing? So anyway, is the Universe open or closed thermodynamically speaking and what is the evidence behind it? Sorry if this has been answered before, I tried using the search feature and I couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
It has to be closed. If there was anything else to exchange energy with it would be in the universe.

What if the universe was infinite (but with finite density)? Would it still obey the laws of thermodynamics then?

Let's see, it seems to obey the laws of thermo... Now just what is your question?

Nevermind, I got it, thanks. I was just wondering if thermodynamics could be strictly applied to the universe because I wasn't sure if it could be considered closed or not. But thanks to your explanation I realized it would be nonsensical to consider it "open".

I think, this is , almost a phylosophical question. What is behind of all the galazies, beyond the limits of everything?. The quantum vacuum?, The nothingness?, what crossess the boundaries of the universe? work?. heat,?, cosmic rays ?. Subtle radiations? what is it beyond?. Anyway. it looks to me that sometihng flows.

Gravity Works

[tex]\mu^3[/tex],
I once had the same question. Here's what I assume you're curious about. If the universe has existed for an infinite amount of time, then by the postulates of classical statistical mechanics, it should have already settled into an equilibrium situation (ie a maximum entropy state with as many degrees of freedom as possible). However, this is not what we see. There are still very large scale motions present in our universe with few "degrees of freedom" (the Earth's orbit around the Sun is an example). So then one is tempted to say that the universe has only "existed" for a finite time. So then what was here before it?? But if it really wasn't here, and then just "appeared", this would contradict conservation of mass (which is in relativity conservation of energy).
This has bothered me for a while. Well not really bothered--more like "intrigued". I suppose it's possible that quantum effects in the early universe prevented an approach to "equilibrium" as suggested by classical statistical mechanics. Let me know what you think about this.

1. What is the concept of thermodynamic openness and closure in the universe?

Thermodynamic openness and closure refer to the exchange of energy and matter between a system and its surroundings. In an open universe, there is a constant exchange of energy and matter, while in a closed universe, there is no exchange and the system is self-contained.

2. How do scientists determine if the universe is thermodynamically open or closed?

Scientists use the laws of thermodynamics to study the behavior of energy and matter in the universe. They observe the flow of energy and matter in the universe and analyze whether it follows the principles of an open or closed system.

3. Is the universe considered a closed system?

The universe is still a subject of ongoing research and debate, but based on current knowledge, it is believed to be an open system. This is because there is evidence of energy and matter constantly entering and leaving the universe.

4. What implications does an open or closed universe have for its future?

If the universe is open, it is believed that it will continue to expand and eventually reach a state of maximum entropy, also known as heat death. If it is closed, it will eventually collapse in on itself in a "big crunch" scenario. These theories are still being studied and debated by scientists.

5. Can the universe switch from being open to closed or vice versa?

It is currently believed that the universe will remain open, as the laws of thermodynamics suggest that an open system cannot become a closed system. However, there is still much to learn about the universe, so our understanding may change in the future.