Is the Walking Ghost of Valentown Museum caught on tape?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, Western New York Paranormal filmed footage of unexplained events at the Valentown Museum and has shared it with WUSA9.com. The footage includes objects passing behind a tether, low light levels causing transparency of people seen walking, and footage taken at speeds different from the original.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Check out the video on this page. It's pretty creepy.:bugeye:
http://wusa9.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=50214&provider=top
Over the years, many unexplained happenings were being experienced by the staff and volunteers at the Valentown Museum. Footsteps and voices coming from locked rooms, inside a glass display case magazine pages turning by themselves, suitcases moving underfoot, a shadowy figure passing right through a closed door, spontaneous tinkling of an old-fashioned bell hanging on the General Store entry door and the binging of its security sensor counterpart when the door never opened, a white shadowy presence in a neighboring house, a man dressed in period clothing appearing in either the front or rear windows depending on whether one is coming or going, oil lanterns swaying, lights turning on and off on their own - all are just a few of the accounts documented.

Western New York Paranormal has given us permission to stream this video. To watch the video and read more about the footage and their investigation, click the links under Related Links and Related Video.

Physics news on Phys.org
larkspur said:
I can't get it to play:mad:
hmmm.. I found this in their help file:

STREAMING VIDEO HELP CENTER
Why can I not see video?
First, are you certain that you have Windows Media Player installed? If not, click here. Otherwise, if you're not seeing our videos, you likely have Norton Internet Security installed. This software's Ad Blocking feature by default is activated. To view videos at WUSA9.com and other major websites as they were designed, you must disable Ad Blocking. In the main window of Norton Internet Security, on the left side click Norton AntiSpam. Click Ad Blocking > Turn Off. Relaunch the video you'd like to view on WUSA9.com.

What video formats do you offer?
WUSA9.com offers streaming video in Windows Media (.wmv) and vodcasting files in QuickTime (.mov).

Why don't your videos play on my Mac?
Our videos have been tested on PCs and Macs. Likely, you have Norton Ad Blocking installed or another form of Ad Blocking software. Either disable this feature or approve WUSA9.com as an approved site.

Did you try the "Launch external player" link?

I can't make heads nor tails of the video. The so-called investigator never seems to move, but the background moves all around him/her. Seems fishy. Perhaps the moving figure is the investigator and the unmoving one is something edited into the video? Why does the video start out black and white and grainy, then turn very white, then red at the end? The moving figure doesn't look any more transparent than the walls or that giant cross on the right. I think that's just an artifact of however they were filming.

There is a notable NASA video from the STS-75 shuttle mission during which a long tether broke and floated away from the craft. Linked below are a few frames from the video which seem to show a circular object passing behind the tether.
http://www.anomalies.net/ufo/nasaufo/sts75/images.htm

The tether was twelve miles long and about eighty miles away at this point. As you might imagine, the sight of objects of such a relative size passing behind the tether got a few people pretty worked up, but it was an artifact of the CCD camera used. The circular objects are really small particles very close to the camera. They only seem to pass behind the tether because of the way the camera stores information.

Your ghost video was apparently taken at very low light levels. I would bet that this is ultimately what causes the seeming transparency of the person seen walking. Perhaps something like residual charges on the CCD array are causing the ghost images of the background objects when the person walks in front of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
Did you try the "Launch external player" link?
Yes and WMP said to connect to the internet:grumpy:
I even tried IE7. I don't use Norton for Antivirus or anything but will check my NOD32 for ad blockers too.
I think I will boot up my old pc and see if I can open it there.

I saw the video and agree with Moonbear. It sure was hard to see much of anything. The first time I watched it I thought it looked like a guy with a hooded sweatshirt but the next few times I watched it I couldn't see much.

It looked very creepy to me. But then again I'm extra spook-able. The way the figure moved was peculiar. He seemed to be staggering, like he was carrying something heavy.

What I want to know is why the timeline is sped up 2 or 3x. It might be because they were filming at a low frame rate to save film/HD space, but it wouldb e nice to see the clip with the speed normalized. That would remove some of the "creepiness" element.

Haha, after all the attempts to obscure the identity of the still figure, she is visible in the last frame of the video!

Wow, that's one drunk ghost!

Windows Media Player cannot play this file. Connect to the Internet or insert the removable media on which the file is located, and then try to play the file again.

I get this, after following the external viewer link, obviously this site needs to have certain security settings deactivated, since I can't do that from here I may try it later from home, anyway I'm always dubious of websites that have these sorts of conditions, might be worth the effort though?

Ivan Seeking said:
There is a notable NASA video from the STS-75 shuttle mission during which a long tether broke and floated away from the craft. Linked below are a few frames from the video which seem to show a circular object passing behind the tether.
http://www.anomalies.net/ufo/nasaufo/sts75/images.htm

The tether was twelve miles long and about eighty miles away at this point. As you might imagine, the sight of objects of such a relative size passing behind the tether got a few people pretty worked up, but it was an artifact of the CCD camera used. The circular objects are really small particles very close to the camera. They only seem to pass behind the tether because of the way the camera stores information.

everyything that I have read about STS-75 suggests that the motions are inconsistant with ice particles [acceleration and vector changes inconsistant with the motion of the shuttle or it's manoevering thrusters]- and the camera could not pick up near particles when it was focused out at maximum looking at the tether- so the objects MUST be very large and remain unidentified- at least that is the most recent conclusion I have seen on the matter

Last edited by a moderator:
It is interesting to see that most ghost videos are in very low quality (or none for that matter). It would be pretty easy to add that "shadow" to the film even for a high-school student with the right software.

1. What is a "Walking Ghost Caught On Tape?"

A "Walking Ghost Caught On Tape" is a video or recording that supposedly captures the image of a ghost or spirit walking or moving in a physical form. It is a popular subject in paranormal investigations and is often shared on social media and online platforms.

2. Are these videos real or fake?

The authenticity of these videos is highly debated and has not been scientifically proven. Some people believe that these videos are real and provide evidence of the existence of ghosts, while others argue that they are fake and can be easily manipulated with special effects or editing techniques.

3. How do scientists explain these phenomena?

As scientists, we rely on evidence and empirical data to explain phenomena. In the case of "Walking Ghost Caught On Tape," there is currently no scientific evidence that supports the existence of ghosts or spirits. Many scientists believe that these videos are either hoaxes or can be explained by natural occurrences such as shadows, reflections, or glitches in the camera or recording equipment.

4. Can these videos be used as proof of the afterlife?

There is no scientific consensus on the existence of an afterlife, and therefore, these videos cannot be used as proof. As scientists, we require solid and repeatable evidence before making any conclusions. The existence of ghosts or spirits has not been scientifically proven, and these videos do not provide sufficient evidence to support this claim.

5. Is it possible to capture a real ghost on video?

As of now, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that ghosts or spirits can be captured on video. While some may believe that these videos are real, there is no scientific proof to support this claim. Until there is solid and repeatable evidence, it is not scientifically possible to capture a real ghost on video.

Back