1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a mistake here so far?

1. Aug 17, 2008 #1
    question attached

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2008 #2
    Mail it to my on wing-tales@gmail.com (without the - between wing and tales). Let me have a look.

You might want to include the topic of your problem in the title.
  4. Aug 17, 2008 #3
    ok emailed
  5. Aug 17, 2008 #4
    Could you write the starting problem here? The first sentence is a little hard to read.
  6. Aug 17, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem is to solve
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{3x- y+ 1}{x+ y+ 1}[/tex]

What franky2727 has done is to set u= 3x- y+1 and v= x+ y+ 1 so that, from the equation, y'= u/v. Then from the first equation u'= 3- y'= 3- u/v. I frankly don't see how adding more variables is going to help, especially since he then defines z= u/v so he winds up with a total of 5 variables!

franky2727, rewrite your equation as (x+y+ 1)dy = (3x-y+1)dx so that (x+y+1)dy- (3x-y+1)dx= (x+y+1)dy+ (-3x+ y- 1)dx= 0. Since (x+y+1)x= 1= (-3x+y-1)y, that is an exact equation. That is, there exist F(x,y) so that
    [tex]dF= \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}dy+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}dx= (x+y+1)dy+ (-3x+ y- 1)dx[/tex]
    Since dF= 0, F(x,y)= constant. Do you know how to find F from
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= x+ y+ 1[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= -3x+ y- 1[/tex]?
  7. Aug 17, 2008 #6
    erm, no not a clue the way my lecturer did it was to add u,v, and z and then back substitute when he got to the end but it seemed long winded and hard. i see what your doing adding DF to emiminate but i dont have a clue where you would go after this? isnt it easier to back substitute cos i'm quite confused here
  8. Aug 17, 2008 #7
    oh and also just out of curiosity have i logged out that last line correctly?
  9. Aug 17, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= x+ y+ 1[/tex]
    the, integrating with respect to y (treating x as if it were a constant)
    Notice that the "constant of integration" here may be a function of x because we are treating x as a constant. Differentiating that with respect to x,
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= y+ g'(x)[/tex]
    and since we know the partial derivative of with respect to x must be -3x+ y+ 1,
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= y+ g'(x)= -3x+ y+ 1[/tex]
    we have
    [tex]g'(x)= -3x+ 1[/tex]
    [tex]g(x)= -\frac{3}{2}x^2+ x[/tex]
    (I've ignored the constant of integration- which really is a constant since g is a function of x only)
    Putting those together,
    [tex]F= xy+ \frac{1}{2}y^2+ y-\frac{3}{2}x^2+ x[/tex]
    and since dF= 0 means F= C,
    [tex]xy+ \frac{1}{2}y^2+ y-\frac{3}{2}x^2+ x= C[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?