Is There a Mistake in Proving 1 = -1 with Square Roots?

• Thread starter 2sin54
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the mistake in taking the square root of both sides of the equation 1/(-1) = -1. It is pointed out that the square root of a negative number is ill-defined and the mistake lies in treating it as a uniquely defined number. The conversation also discusses the complex numbers and the importance of distinguishing between the two possible roots. It is suggested to include a +- symbol when taking the square root of both sides of an equation to avoid errors.
2sin54
1/(-1) = -1

Take the square root of both sides:

√(1/(-1)) = √(-1) =>

√1 / √(-1) = √(-1)

1 / i = i | * i

1 = i^2

1 = -1

Where's the mistake?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Gytax said:
1/(-1) = -1

Take the square root of both sides:

√(1/(-1)) = √(-1) =>

√1 / √(-1) = √(-1)
Mistake is above, on the left side. √(a/b) = √a / √b requires that a >= 0 and b > 0.
Gytax said:
1 / i = i | * i

1 = i^2

1 = -1

Where's the mistake?

You can only take the square roots of positive numbers. Square roots of negative numbers are ill-defined. (precisely to prohibit reasoning like this)

So why exactly in this case imaginary numbers aren't allowed and elsewhere they are?

Gytax said:
1/(-1) = -1

√1 / √(-1) = √(-1)

Where's the mistake?

This is not true

but the true is :

275913841.jpg

Gytax said:
So why exactly in this case imaginary numbers aren't allowed and elsewhere they are?
Every number has two square roots. For real numbers, we can define the square root (or 1/2 power) to be the positive root. However, there is no order for the complex numbers that makes it an ordered field. In particular, that means we cannot distinguish between "positive" and "negative" roots for complex numbers. Because of that, your error was writing "take the square root" and treating it as if it were a uniquely defined number.

That is also why "defining" i to be "[itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex]" or "the number whose square is -1" are technically wrong. They do not distinguish between the two possible roots. A more valid approach is to define the complex numbers as pairs of real numbers, (a, b), and then define addition by (a, b)+ (c, d)= (a+ c, b+ d) and define multplication by (a, b)(c, d)= (ac- bd, ad+ bc). Then we can identify every real number a with the complex number (a, 0) and define i to be (0, 1). Then, (0, 1)(0, 1)= (0*0- 1*1, 0*1+ 1*0)= (-1, 0) so that [itex]i^2= -1[/itex]. Of course, [itex](-i)^2= (0, -1)^2= (-1, 0)[/itex] also but now we can distinguish between i= (0, 1) and -i= (0, -1).

Last edited by a moderator:
All of that is too complicated,
anytime one takes square root of both sides of an equation,
one must include a +- symbol on one side of the equation.
Then choose the + or - so the answer makes sense.

Apply, Ockham's razor, to the various answers.

Of course we haven't ascertained where the OP is coming from. High school algebra? First week of a course on complex numbers?

Finally, unfortunately, I'm not sure mathfriend is following the OP's logic.

Related to Is There a Mistake in Proving 1 = -1 with Square Roots?

1. What is the mathematical proof that 1 equals -1?

The mathematical proof of 1 = -1 is a well-known paradox. It involves dividing both sides of the equation by 0, which is undefined in mathematics. Therefore, the equation cannot be solved and 1 does not equal -1.

2. Can you give an example where 1 equals -1?

No, there is no real-world example where 1 equals -1. In mathematics, this equation is considered undefined and cannot be solved.

3. Is it possible for 1 to equal -1 in a different number system?

No, the concept of 1 equaling -1 is based on the fundamental properties of numbers and arithmetic. It is not possible for 1 to equal -1 in any number system.

4. How can 1 equal -1 if they have different values?

While 1 and -1 may have different values, they both represent the same concept of magnitude and direction. In some cases, they may cancel each other out in an equation, but they cannot be equal.

5. Can 1 ever equal -1 in an equation?

No, 1 and -1 cannot be equal in any equation. This would violate the fundamental properties of numbers and arithmetic.