Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a phase shift associated with twisted nematic LCDs?

1. Oct 12, 2013 #1
    Hello,

As it says in the title, I would like to know if the light entering a twisted nematic liquid crystal display experiences any kind of phase shift specifically when applying a voltage to manipulate the polarisation of the light.

If it is the case, could someone point me towards any articles that describe this? I have had a look myself on Google etc., though most of the papers that seem related are only accessible through membership.

Also, if anyone knows the sort of maths behind it e.g. applying x amount of voltage/polarisation induces y amount of phase shift, whether it applies for a specific TN LCD device or in general, that would be great.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2013 #2

K^2

Science Advisor

Yes. There is almost definitely a shift. Twisting of polarization is equivalent to having difference of refraction index for right-polarized and left-polarized light. (See Faraday Effect for some details.) So I would expect a difference in phase between on and off states. But there might be an overall index of refraction change as well, so I have no idea how you'd go about estimating the total.

I can tell you that people would be looking into this, because there have been applications of liquid crystals in beam steering, where phases are really important. I could probably even point you to people who would know, depending on how important this is.

4. Oct 13, 2013 #3
    Thank you for the reply K^2. I ask this particular question because it regards a particular design project that I am working on. My project involves finding some programmable "micromirror" device that can create bespoke changes for the phase of light. I happen to have access to a projector that uses a TN device; if it does the stuff I need it to do, with some reverse engineering, it could be just the thing.

If you could point me towards anyone who knows more I'd appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook