Is there a problem with this Source Transformation?

In summary, the speaker encountered an issue with a source transformation method while finding the transfer function of a circuit. They were advised to consider the Thévenin impedance in their calculations and to use a cursive 's' to avoid confusion with the numeral '5'.
Danie9
ssadas.jpg

Hey guys, i did this source transformation as an alternate method to find the transfer function of a circuit, however I am getting a different transfer function of 2/(2s+(s+3)(s^2+1)) to the solution in the following image. Any help would be really appreciated :)
solution2.JPG

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi danie9! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Your analysis using the first method looks right.

The mistake you're making in the second is that while representing the first stage by its Thévenin voltage source you are forgetting about its Thévenin impedance. The result is as though there exists a unity gain buffer amplifier between the two stages because you are, in effect, assuming/using a Thévenin impedance of zero ohms. But there is no such isolating amplifier. So as well as redrawing with a voltage source you need to include the impedance of that voltage source to properly account for the loading effect of stage II on stage I.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Danie9
To avoid the likelihood of sooner or later mistaking your lower-case "s" for the numeral "5" somewhere in the middle of many pages of complex algebra, consider adopting a cursive lower-case letter "s" for your electronics work. Writing it like this will obviate one glaring opportunity for going astray in your work. (Leave off the lower-right upward flourish, that stem is needed only when joining to a following alphabet letter.)

http://www.kbteachers.com/alphabet/cursive/lowercase-s.gif ;);)

Likes Danie9
NascentOxygen said:
Hi danie9! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Your analysis using the first method looks right.

The mistake you're making in the second is that while representing the first stage by its Thévenin voltage source you are forgetting about its Thévenin impedance. The result is as though there exists a unity gain buffer amplifier between the two stages because you are, in effect, assuming/using a Thévenin impedance of zero ohms. But there is no such isolating amplifier. So as well as redrawing with a voltage source you need to include the impedance of that voltage source to properly account for the loading effect of stage II on stage I.
Yes thank you so much, i will definitely start using a cursive 's' :)

I would first like to commend you for exploring different methods to solve the problem. However, it is important to carefully analyze the steps involved in the source transformation to determine if there are any errors or discrepancies. In this case, it seems like there may have been a mistake made in the transformation, leading to a different transfer function than the one provided in the solution. To ensure the accuracy of your results, I would recommend double-checking your calculations and consulting with other experts in the field. It is also important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the source transformation method before relying on it as the sole approach to solving a problem.

1. What is a source transformation?

A source transformation is a technique used in electrical circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits by substituting a voltage source with a series combination of a resistor and a current source, or vice versa. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of circuit parameters.

2. How do I know if a source transformation is necessary?

A source transformation is typically used when there are multiple voltage or current sources in a circuit, or when there are both voltage and current sources present. It can also be used to simplify a circuit for easier analysis or to reduce the number of circuit elements.

3. Can a source transformation change the behavior of a circuit?

No, a source transformation does not change the behavior of a circuit. It simply represents the same circuit in a different way, making it easier to solve for circuit parameters such as voltage, current, and power.

4. Are there any limitations to using source transformations?

Source transformations are typically used for linear circuits, meaning that the relationship between voltage and current remains constant. They may not be as effective in non-linear circuits, where the relationship between voltage and current may change.

5. Can source transformations be used in any type of circuit?

Source transformations are commonly used in DC and AC circuits, but can also be applied to other types of circuits such as digital circuits. However, the specific transformation used may differ depending on the type of circuit and its components.