Question on Laplace Transform of a constant voltage source

In summary, you can either solve for the frequency response of the circuit with v2-v1 as an input, or you can make v1 an input and solve for the frequency response of the circuit with v2-v1 as an output.
Crek
Hello.

I am reviewing the use of the Laplace Transform to do circuit analysis and I am slightly confused about the transform of a constant voltage source.

For example, let's say we have a constant voltage source V1(t) applied to a circuit for a long time - let's say it reaches steady state. We then apply a step function voltage V2(t) some place else in the circuit while V1(t) is left on.

What is the S-domain equivalent of this circuit? How do you handle the constant voltage source V1(t)? It's not a step response - I have looked all over and I have found nothing on this.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a schematic of your considered situation? I recommend you do.

I can't see any problem with having a circuit with multiple voltage sources.. So i can't see what you are trying to ask.

By applying V2(t) after V1(t) is left on for a long time, you are simply left with a new circuit altogether, for which you can solve in the S-domain, and yield the output response.

Crek said:
Hello.

I am reviewing the use of the Laplace Transform to do circuit analysis and I am slightly confused about the transform of a constant voltage source.

For example, let's say we have a constant voltage source V1(t) applied to a circuit for a long time - let's say it reaches steady state. We then apply a step function voltage V2(t) some place else in the circuit while V1(t) is left on.

What is the S-domain equivalent of this circuit? How do you handle the constant voltage source V1(t)? It's not a step response - I have looked all over and I have found nothing on this.

Thanks

There is not a clean way to do what you are asking.

You have two choices.

have v1 as a step function at time=-1000 (scale this number appropriately)
then evaluate two step functions

evaluate the step function of magnitude v2-v1

I am assuming you are talking about analyzing the frequency response of a transfer function.

remember that a transfer function looks at the relationship between 1 input and 1 output. If you wish to evaluate the effect a constant will have, you need to make it an input.

1. What is the Laplace Transform of a constant voltage source?

The Laplace Transform of a constant voltage source is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of frequency. It is represented by the symbol V(s), where s is the complex frequency variable. The Laplace Transform of a constant voltage source is equal to the voltage value, V, divided by the complex frequency, s.

2. How is the Laplace Transform of a constant voltage source useful in circuit analysis?

The Laplace Transform of a constant voltage source allows for the analysis of circuits in the frequency domain, rather than the time domain. This makes it easier to analyze the behavior of the circuit, especially for complex circuits with multiple components. It also allows for the use of algebraic equations rather than differential equations, making calculations simpler.

3. Can the Laplace Transform of a constant voltage source be used for AC and DC voltage sources?

Yes, the Laplace Transform of a constant voltage source can be used for both AC and DC sources. However, for DC sources, the Laplace Transform simplifies to just the voltage value, V, as the complex frequency, s, is equal to zero.

4. How does the Laplace Transform of a constant voltage source differ from the Fourier Transform?

The Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform are both mathematical tools used for signal analysis. However, the Laplace Transform is more general as it can handle signals that are not periodic, while the Fourier Transform is limited to periodic signals. Additionally, the Laplace Transform includes information about the initial conditions of the signal, while the Fourier Transform does not.

5. Can the Laplace Transform of a constant voltage source be inverted back to the time domain?

Yes, the inverse Laplace Transform can be used to convert the Laplace Transform of a constant voltage source back to the time domain. This allows for the analysis of the signal in both the frequency and time domains, providing a more complete understanding of the circuit's behavior.