Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a program which can find the impedance of different geometries?

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    I'm basically looking for something like Sonnet which performs well at low frequencies.

I'm trying to investigate the impedance of different shaped traces at frequencies of around 1 - 20 kHz. At such low frequencies, Sonnet's response data is usually garbage.

The trace under investigation is placed on a substrate, but the ground is not included on it. It is more closely related to a simple discrete resistor.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

At such low frequencies, you are dealing with lumped parameters, not distributed. The impedance is determined by the lumped capacitance and inductance, as well as any leakage. Are you just wanting to calculate the capacitance and inductance of the traces?

4. Jul 24, 2008 #3
    ...and resistance, yes. In sum, a Z parameter would be nice. Perhaps I should have been a bit more careful...its not really a trace between two other components on a PCB or anything. Think of it as a discrete impedance. It is of a more complex shape, however, so doing calculations by hand would be difficult.

5. Jul 24, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?