Is there a type of plastic that has a low melting point or low soft temperature?

• Thread starter peterje
  • Start date
Is there a type of plastic that has a low melting point or better a low soft temperature?
What we need is to blow up a ball (3-7 cm in diameter), cover the ball except a 6mm hole, let it dry, and then removes the plastic ball through the 6mm hole.
So to remove the plastic it needs to be soft and still in one piece be able to get it out of the 6mm hole.

You could alternatively use a solvent to remove your plastic?

You could alternatively use a solvent to remove your plastic?
When Removing the plastic it must be dry.

uby

there are some kinds of waxes that melt significantly lower than 100C. i'd suggest speaking to a company that specializes in model waxes and similar materials. i recall that a company (Freeman?) was particularly helpful for me in the past. note that there is often a limit to how often you can reuse a wax before crystallization limits its meltability.

turbo

Gold Member
How about beeswax? I don't know if it tends to get grainy after repeated uses like paraffin does, but it might be worth a shot.

Will wax stick enough together to pull it out easily from a small hole?
Can you blowup wax to a ball or dos it has to be full of was? If full than how to get it out before it turn to liquid or sticky mass?

Try polymorph - has a melting point around 60 degrees - otherwise known as polycaprolactone (PCL) thermoplastic

chemisttree

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Rubber balloon. Why do make this stuff so hard?

try linear LDPE. Won't melt too easily but can handle extreme 500% stresses and 20% strains, and can be molded at 50 degrees.