Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a type of plastic that has a low melting point or low soft temperature?

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    Is there a type of plastic that has a low melting point or better a low soft temperature?
    What we need is to blow up a ball (3-7 cm in diameter), cover the ball except a 6mm hole, let it dry, and then removes the plastic ball through the 6mm hole.
    So to remove the plastic it needs to be soft and still in one piece be able to get it out of the 6mm hole.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2
    You could alternatively use a solvent to remove your plastic?

4. Jan 29, 2012 #3
    When Removing the plastic it must be dry.

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4
    Also we like to reuse the plastic if possible.

6. Jan 30, 2012 #5

uby

there are some kinds of waxes that melt significantly lower than 100C. i'd suggest speaking to a company that specializes in model waxes and similar materials. i recall that a company (Freeman?) was particularly helpful for me in the past. note that there is often a limit to how often you can reuse a wax before crystallization limits its meltability.

7. Jan 30, 2012 #6

turbo

Gold Member

How about beeswax? I don't know if it tends to get grainy after repeated uses like paraffin does, but it might be worth a shot.

8. Jan 31, 2012 #7
    Will wax stick enough together to pull it out easily from a small hole?
    Can you blowup wax to a ball or dos it has to be full of was? If full than how to get it out before it turn to liquid or sticky mass?

9. Aug 15, 2012 #8
    Try polymorph - has a melting point around 60 degrees - otherwise known as polycaprolactone (PCL) thermoplastic

10. Aug 23, 2012 #9

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Rubber balloon. Why do make this stuff so hard?

11. Aug 23, 2012 #10
    try linear LDPE. Won't melt too easily but can handle extreme 500% stresses and 20% strains, and can be molded at 50 degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook