Is there any effect of wire's insulation on it's magnetic an

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter dumbboy340
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Insulation Magnetic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
dumbboy340
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Does insulation affect electric and magnetic field?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the purpose of insulating a wire?
 
That is what I'm asking.If it does,why a magnet interacts it?i'm confused.please explain it??
 
Insulation does affect the EM propagation speed along the outside of a wire
This becomes very apparent with transmission lines ( antennas) that have either a covering
The result is a slowing of the EM propagation, This is known as the VF -- Velocity Factor

Dave
 
I'm not sure that a magnetic field on its own is affected by insulation
That I would have to research
 
dumbboy340 said:
That is what I'm asking.If it does,why a magnet interacts it?i'm confused.please explain it??

Why do you think a magnetic field interacts with insulation? It does not. As stated already, insulation has a higher dielectric constant than air, so it will affect the E field generated by voltages on the wire (including the velocity factor that Dave has mentioned).
 
I guess if you're counting a sheath (like in coaxial cable) as the insulation, then it certainly affects the [itex]B[/itex] field produced by the wire because the metal intentionally has high permeability. Otherwise plastic wouldn't have a noticeable effect.