1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any effect of wire's insulation on it's magnetic an

1. Jan 7, 2015 #1
    Does insulation affect electric and magnetic field?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What's the purpose of insulating a wire?

4. Jan 7, 2015 #3
    That is what i'm asking.If it does,why a magnet interacts it?i'm confused.please explain it??

5. Jan 7, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Insulation does affect the EM propagation speed along the outside of a wire
    This becomes very apparent with transmission lines ( antennas) that have either a covering
    The result is a slowing of the EM propagation, This is known as the VF -- Velocity Factor

Dave

6. Jan 7, 2015 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure that a magnetic field on its own is affected by insulation
    That I would have to research

7. Jan 7, 2015 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Why do you think a magnetic field interacts with insulation? It does not. As stated already, insulation has a higher dielectric constant than air, so it will affect the E field generated by voltages on the wire (including the velocity factor that Dave has mentioned).

8. Jan 7, 2015 #7
  9. Jan 8, 2015 #8
    Thanks!

10. Jan 17, 2015 #9

TheDemx27

Gold Member

I guess if you're counting a sheath (like in coaxial cable) as the insulation, then it certainly affects the [itex]B[/itex] field produced by the wire because the metal intentionally has high permeability. Otherwise plastic wouldn't have a noticeable effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook