Can an insulator reflect radiowaves?

• I
  • Thread starter garryA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insulator
In summary: The high surface impedance of HIS can be attributed to (i) the irregular and randomly shaped feature of the HIS, and (ii) the presence of short-length metal channels that can have a high impedance.""The wave impedance of HIS can be very high, and can be orders of magnitude greater than the impedance of free space. This high impedance can make HIS a very good reflector of microwave radiation."
garryA
So, when a radiowave strike a surface, whether the wave get reflected or not depend a lot on the characteristic impendence of it. If the radiowave travel from free space to a material. Any mismatch from the approx. 377 ohms impedance of free space (Z0) will result in a reflected wave; the greater the mismatch, the greater the amount reflected. Since conductor such as metal has very low impedance therefore good at reflecting radiowave. But how about insulator?. Could an insulator have the impendence high enough (much higher than free space value) that make it also reflect radiowave?

Physics news on Phys.org
garryA said:
Could an insulator have the impendence high enough (much higher than free space value) that make it also reflect radiowave?
AFAIK, the ##Z_0## of free space is as high as you can get. You can get lower values of ##Z_0## with different dielectrics that you propagate through.

The value to look at is the refractive index ##n## of the dielectric material, compared to whatever is surrounding it. For a vacuum, ##n=1##, and for water and other dielectrics, ##n>1##. See this Wikipedia page for more information on how to calculate the amount of EM reflected by the interface:

1655235073512.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations

• Informative
Likes Klystron, Delta2, DaveE and 1 other person
berkeman said:
AFAIK, the ##Z_0## of free space is as high as you can get. You can get lower values of ##Z_0## with different dielectrics that you propagate through.

The value to look at is the refractive index ##n## of the dielectric material, compared to whatever is surrounding it. For a vacuum, ##n=1##, and for water and other dielectrics, ##n>1##. See this Wikipedia page for more information on how to calculate the amount of EM reflected by the interface:

View attachment 302829
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations
Here's a link about index of refraction:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/refr.html

Likes Delta2
You should be careful with the index of refraction. It is not a constant valid for the whole Em spectrum. The index for visible light does not have to be similar to that for low frequency radiowaves. It makesmore sense to look to the reflectivity in the specififc frequncy domain. Or look for the dielectric constant of the dielectric in that frequency domain.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, dlgoff, vanhees71 and 1 other person
berkeman said:
So in short insulator can still reflect radio wave, just not as good as metal?

Likes Delta2
garryA said:
So in short insulator can still reflect radio wave, just not as good as metal?
Yes insulators are poor reflectors, I think up to 90% of the energy of the incident wave passes through.

Delta2 said:
Yes insulators are poor reflectors, I think up to 90% of the energy of the incident wave passes through.
Someone told me that insulator can have very high surface impedance much higher than the 377 ohms value, therefore they can be good reflector. What do you guys think?

garryA said:
Someone told me that insulator can have very high surface impedance much higher than the 377 ohms value, therefore they can be good reflector. What do you guys think?
This is not correct according to mainstream physics. Maybe some unknown experimental material can have i don't know.

Likes garryA and dlgoff
garryA said:
Someone told me
That is not a valid reference for discussion at PF.

And as you can see from the EM reflection equation that I posted from Wikipedia, the DC resistance of a material does not enter into that calculation. Reflection from conductors is governed by other equations, but you were asking about insulators/dielectrics, so that's the question that I addressed.

Likes dlgoff
garryA said:
How do you define the surface impedance for insulators? The formula for metals contains the conductivity and skin depth. But anyway, the reflection coefficient for insulators depends on what is called the wave impedance or just the impedance of the medium.

Likes garryA
berkeman said:
That is not a valid reference for discussion at PF.
Iam not trying to use that as a reference, I simply trying to understand the reflection behavior of material.
Since my knowledge in this field is a bit limited

Maybe it is good idea to start by looking at each case (ideal insulator and ideal conductor) separately.

If we make a prism out of paraffin wax, we can demonstrate total internal reflection at microwave frequencies by using an insulator.

• Wow
Likes vanhees71, garryA and nasu
nasu said:
How do you define the surface impedance for insulators? The formula for metals contains the conductivity and skin depth. But anyway, the reflection coefficient for insulators depends on what is called the wave impedance or just the impedance of the medium.
I found here that surfaces impendance affect reflection
https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ha...h-Impedance_Surface_Design_Considerations.pdf
"High-Impedance Surfaces (HIS) have been extensively investigated in the field of antennas. Such metasurfaces exhibit an in-phase reflection of incident waves, that makes them to behave like an Artificial Magnetic Conductor (AMC) within a limited frequency range. Consequently, HIS can be used as efficient reflectors"

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and Delta2
tech99 said:
If we make a prism out of paraffin wax, we can demonstrate total internal reflection at microwave frequencies by using an insulator.
I didn't know paraffin wax can reflect radiowave

garryA said:
I found here that surfaces impendance affect reflection
https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ha...h-Impedance_Surface_Design_Considerations.pdf
"High-Impedance Surfaces (HIS) have been extensively investigated in the field of antennas. Such metasurfaces exhibit an in-phase reflection of incident waves, that makes them to behave like an Artificial Magnetic Conductor (AMC) within a limited frequency range. Consequently, HIS can be used as efficient reflectors"
Though that paper doesn't explicitly state from what material HIS are constructed from, I think is is left implied that they are made by good conductors and not insulators.

Delta2 said:
Though that paper doesn't explicitly state from what material HIS are constructed from, I think is is left implied that they are made by good conductors and not insulators.
Isn't conductor supposed to have low surfaces impendance?

garryA said:
Isn't conductor supposed to have low surfaces impendance?
I think you are confusing the electrical impedance or ohmic resistance with the characteristic impedance of a material.

Likes davenn and dlgoff

1. Can an insulator reflect radiowaves?

Yes, an insulator can reflect radiowaves. Insulators are materials that do not conduct electricity, so they can reflect electromagnetic waves, including radiowaves.

2. How does an insulator reflect radiowaves?

An insulator reflects radiowaves due to its high dielectric constant, which causes the radiowaves to bounce off its surface instead of passing through it.

3. Can all types of insulators reflect radiowaves?

Yes, all types of insulators can reflect radiowaves. However, the effectiveness of the reflection may vary depending on the type and properties of the insulator.

4. Can an insulator block radiowaves?

Yes, an insulator can block radiowaves. Insulators are used in the construction of Faraday cages, which are designed to block all external electromagnetic signals, including radiowaves.

5. Are there any insulators that are better at reflecting radiowaves than others?

Yes, there are certain insulators that are better at reflecting radiowaves than others. Materials with high dielectric constants, such as ceramic, glass, and rubber, are more effective at reflecting radiowaves than materials with lower dielectric constants.